Ac help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

expertzx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Ac decided to stop working today. The outside unit isn't coming on. I've flipped the breaker in the garage, tried to locate the fuse box by the unit but dont see one out there. I can't get somebody to come out until tomorrow. Can anybody give me some suggestions that I can try ?

steelhorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm no expert but does the fan come on? I've had a problem in the past where the fan would come on but not the compressor. I turned the thermostat down as far as it would go(dial type) and it made the compressor "kick in".

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a box that should be nearby, has two large tubes in it that look like fuses, capacitors. Probably have one blown. Follow the lines from the unit, one of them will lead to it.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
have someone flip the ac on while you're near the outside unit. see if you can hear the contact switch. if not, you have a bad contact switch, if you do, then chances are its the compressor or the fan that has gone out. you'd have to disconnect it and ohm out the fan motor to know if it's good. check out the fuses for continuity as the reply above suggests as well

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a box that should be nearby, has two large tubes in it that look like fuses, capacitors. Probably have one blown. Follow the lines from the unit, one of them will lead to it.
That would be the fuses.!
The capacitor is inside the little access panel on the outside unit.....but , it probably is the capacitor.
Theyre popin like crazy in this heat.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
have someone flip the ac on while you're near the outside unit. see if you can hear the contact switch. if not, you have a bad contact switch, if you do, then chances are its the compressor or the fan that has gone out. you'd have to disconnect it and ohm out the fan motor to know if it's good. check out the fuses for continuity as the reply above suggests as well
Capacitor !....go buy 2 of them!

Latest posts

Top Bottom