Advice on 1911 carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Y'all are some big sum bitches. I am 5'11" and 150 lbs soaking wet, think I could make a 5" 1911 disappear? I don't, but I am curious what those who carry 1911's think based on their experiences.

I'm about the same size as you. I have no problem concealing a 5" 1911 as long as I'm wearing a jacket or covershirt, but I'm so skinny a j-frame is about the only thing I can conceal with just a T-shirt haha.

The 1911 is so thin it actually feels better than a Glock and the SS2 keeps it at enough of an angle that the back of the grip doesn't print. It's not harder to conceal than a G23 and easier than a G22 IMO.

Stackle2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Condition 1- Cocked & Locked.

Get a good quality IWB holster like they have @ concealmentsolutions.com & you will never regret it. Don't waste money on cheap injection molded plastic crap, it'll be one more thing cluttering up your closet in a month.

Stackle2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm about the same size as you. I have no problem concealing a 5" 1911 as long as I'm wearing a jacket or covershirt, but I'm so skinny a j-frame is about the only thing I can conceal with just a T-shirt haha.

The 1911 is so thin it actually feels better than a Glock and the SS2 keeps it at enough of an angle that the back of the grip doesn't print. It's not harder to conceal than a G23 and easier than a G22 IMO.

I am 6' & 180 LBS, but very lean, I carry a 5" Government model without a problem. I don't wear hoodies or coats of any type when its warm out, but I really don't care about printing. With my black mamba holster, even in just a t shirt, the only thing that prints is the bottom corner of the mag well, & it certainly doesn't look like a gun.

Blackbirdpilot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I carry a Springfield Micro Compact in either a VersaMaxII or a Watch Six. They are both essentially the same but the VM is thicker and has a reinforced opening for easier reholstering.
Always carry condition 1. If you aren't comfortable with that carry it around cocked on an empty chamber for a while and keep track of how many times the hammer drops accidentally.
Never carry it chambered with the hammer down.

The 1911 is typically going to be quite a bit heavier than any of the poly guns. The micro compact w 8 rounds is heavier than a full size HK USP with 16 rounds of 9mm.
Other than that its carries very well.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 on the function check and carrying around, at home, without one in the chamber....mine Never went off accidently
LWCO Springer here too in a Crossbreed Supertuck.
No experience with the Fobus I was told the same thing, but...be prepared for the Box-O-Holsters, its a personal thing! LOL
Get a good belt, very important...Good Luck and Welcome

Stackle2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Box 'O Holsters is a fact... Normally.

I bought a new carry gun 3 months ago. When I bought it, I custom ordered a really decent high end leather IWB, instead of doing what I usually do & buy whatever is on sale or impulse buy a new paddle holster every time I see one at a gun show. I gotta say, custom work has such a touch of class to it, plus mine is so comfortable, why would I ever go back?

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm 5'11" 'twixt 210 and 215. I haven't tried many holsters but my favorite is the Crossbreed Supertuck IWB.

The leather vest that Cabelas sells for concealed carry isn't bad in cool weather.

Latest posts

Top Bottom