Aerial speeding patrols in OK

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always thought they weren't supposed to pull people over in unmarked cars, but you see that all the time anymore.

They do, just had to be in uniform. I looked at an ex-OHP dodge charger that was metallic red that was an unmarked car. Didn't buy it but found the color interesting.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't get irritated except people going slow in the left lane, or people who go to pass in the left lane and then hold up traffic for MILES because they're not going any faster than the people they're trying to pass, or at most 1mph difference. Ran into this with truckers on our recent road trip and it irritated me to no end.

Stupid truckers getting in the left left of a 2-lane highway to pass another truck, but the passing truck can't even manage to get up to the speed limit consistently due to hills, speeding up to maybe 1-2 miles over the limit on downhills, but 5-7mph UNDER the limit during uphills.

Literally dozens of cars lined up behind him in the 10+ minutes it took to get to the next clear spot when he could move over.
That's because most of them have tattle tails installed and engine governors. Their boss gets an email when they speed that's why they always brake going downhill nowadays instead of what they used to do by gaining enough speed to get the crest of the next hill.
Swift Trucks should have their name changed to Slow.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Years ago listening to the scanner I heard a bear in the air talking to a ground unit.

"Boy have I got a deal for you! Two of them 95." "They will be numbers 3 and 4 from the west." "Number 3 will be a blue Chevy Caprice and 4 will be a red pickup." "Yeah, that's him, the blue Chevy is number one to you now..."

It says unavailable but if you click the youtube link, it works.

Last edited:

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder how much of our earnings are wasted by keeping those heroes up in the air to check for speeders?

It's hard to imagine a more inefficient way to patrol. Basically, you have all the same ground units necessary, plus an airplane. But I'm sure the deterrent has saved countless lives.

murphranch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's because most of them have tattle tails installed and engine governors. Their boss gets an email when they speed that's why they always brake going downhill nowadays instead of what they used to do by gaining enough speed to get the crest of the next hill.
Swift Trucks should have their name changed to Slow.

I bought a used Peterbuilt 2 years ago that had the little satellite dish on top that kept track of every move the truck made. It had an iPad looking device on the dash that showed the fastest mph, average gpm, location, current speed, locked top speed at 77 mph and even had a app set that would put the truck in reduced power mode after 14 hours of continuous driving. It could set and idle but not run highway speed. After 4 hours of setting it would unlock and was drivable. The company had them set that way to make drivers stop and rest.
I removed all of those electronics and chipped the injection pump and had it turned up another 75 horsepower. You can drive it as long as one wants to now and it will run quite a bit faster than 77.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The new radar detectors are way better even from a few years back. They have 360 degree detection, red light camera detection, laser, pulse and instant on. Hell, the one I have now even detects VG-2 detector, detectors.
But the key to success in using one is to never be the rabbit on long stretches of desolate areas.

I followed a trooper back from okc once, and picked up his pattern when he would hit his switch. Learned the rabbit and the dog trick from him.

Yep, lots of tricks used by the troopers to defeat radar detectors. One will run down the road with the unit on low power. About a half mile behind there will be another with the instant on to activate. Ran on to that one many times in my 18 mike commute to work.
Definitely never be the rabbit in the train. The leader gets the ticket.

corneileous

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of the funniest things I’ve ever heard… We have a good family friend who is a Trooper, we were visiting one time and aerial clocking came up. He was telling me about a trap they had, the airplane was clocking, ground crews stopping. Said he stopped a guy, dude said he couldn’t have got him speeding, because he had 2 radar detectors. Trooper said they got him by plane, guy said no I have that covered too. The guy pointed at his dash, said the guy had one detector facing forward, and one beside it pointing straight up. He said he was laughing so hard, he told the guy that he’d tried so hard, he’d let him go just this once. He and I have laughed about that for several years now.

Hmm…. Well, I’m my experience, being that not all radar detectors are created equal, I do feel that you do get what you pay for and unless you want a radar detector to actually do what it’s supposed to, you can’t be cheap but I was always under the impression that if there was an airplane above, they could only tell the ground unit that such and such car might be speeding and then it was up to the ground unit to shoot the radar at that specific car to verify they are indeed speeding.

I guess I just don’t understand how an aircraft flying above like that can get you for speeding much like how I’ve been told on radar detector forums that they can’t really rely on instant on anymore because it dramatically reduces its accuracy. I may be wrong, though. All I can say though is in the total of about $1200 worth of two radar detectors that I have, let’s just say they have more than paid for themselves several times over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom