Am I overreacting to a "hypothetical" situation?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When it comes to my kids I don't give one flying shi$ what my family thinks. My kids come way, way, WAY before the opinions of my family. We men say we will give our lives for our kids and wife. Well, this is part of that. If you forever lose family members over protecting your kids, so be it.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hypothetically, I would tell her entire family that they can either settle the f#$* down about it or they wouldn't see my kids either. And if they had a problem with that, hypothetically, I'd have much less Christmas shopping to do this year.

I like the idea of less Christmas budget!!

I say give him 1 to the hip and get it over with. Obviously you are in the right, no question.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well you and your wife seem to be on the same page. She grew up with the guy, so IMO you need to listen to her just as you seem to be doing. "Eff the rest of them, it's not their decision to make and it seems that some have a hard time respecting other's opinions and wishes including family. Especially family in some cases. Trust your instincts not ANYONE elses! Your kids' welfare isn't to be gambled with.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't give a rats A if my in laws liked it or not. I don't like mine anyway. My son comes first and I will always do whatever I can to protect him. Try having the same mentality. But I don't know your situation with you in laws so I can't say much about it. You just need to do what you feel is right as long as you are putting your kids first.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You're not overreacting. Even if the case is ultimately dropped, you should be very, very cautious around him in the future. These cases get dropped/reduced/acquitted for a variety of reasons, and "he didn't do it" is rarely the reason.

See "Michael Jackson".

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lets say "hypothetically", my brother in law was arrested and charged with a crime that has the adjectives "lewd acts", "child", and "felony" in the description.

My wife and I have "hypothetically" talked about it and decided that it's best for him to not be around our 4 and 2 year old unless he's found innocent.

"Hypothetically" her entire family is pissed at us now.

Are we overreacting?

EDIT: Spelling :)

HELL NO, you are NOT wrong. The safety of your children is your primary concern and most sacred duty. If I were in a similar situation, I would not care who was angry with me, or if I ever again got invited to any functions by my family.

I've handled some civil cases suing teachers, etc., for that and the damage done to the children is life long and often results in the development of serious psychological disorders, such as borderline personality disorder, which in turn can impact the victims' own kids.

Kyle78

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had to kick my grandpa in law and his Co-MO friend out of my house and threatened to ban him from my property. I told him to stop bringing his friend to my house, even tho he swears he was innocent. (He admitted guilt to a judge). He molested his granddaughter. Still causes problems, but I don't give a F. Gotta protect my son at all costs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom