Amazon: Buyer beware

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last week I bought a Streamlight 1L-1AA flashlight from Amazon. This light uses CR123 or AA batteries which is why I bought it. It was an Amazon Prime item which sold and shipped from Amazon.com, LLC so it was Amazon outright selling it. It was a counterfeit.

I contacted Streamlight and got an initial response back the next morning from their General Council. That got my attention as I was just inquiring if they thought it might be counterfeit. I wasn't concerned either way since Amazon's return policy is really good and told this to Streamlight. I'd just send it back and get one from another vendor, so no big deal. Well, big deal! They are going to try and prosecute from the sounds of it if they can. After several attempts to send photos we finally gave up on them getting them and they sent a call tag, their system was blocking the emails with attachments or stripping them out. I shipped it out Tuesday, I think, and it's not even there yet. Today UPS unexpectedly pulls up and has a replacement direct from Streamlight on my porch. The one I got from Amazon was definitely different.

The differences I noted:
O-ring seal was thinner and not orange in color
Rubber switch cover was not embossed with the Streamlight logo
Positive battery contact inside was different
Switch is very stiff to operate
AA battery insertion bent the spring because it was so stiff to actuate
No batteries shipped with light

Note that the packaging and manual was basically a spot on perfect copy and except for not having a means to include batteries in said packaging I would probably not even checked it out. It could have came from Streamlight as far as I would have known. It was that good. I have several Streamlight items and compared it. The light itself externally looked to be very good quality just like you'd expect. Inside there were the differences above.

After receiving the real deal from Streamlight today and comparing I sent Amazon customer service an email and gave them the whole story. I wasn't requesting a refund, return, etc. since I got what I bought in the end. I was only letting them know and expecting them to make an effort to make ensure they weren't selling counterfeit stuff to their customers. They didn't even address that part, they stated that since the product did work they would refund half my money since I wasn't satisfied which they have done. Well I'm still not satisfied since my whole request was for them to ensure they are selling legit stuff! I guess if their customers are satisfied and ignorant of the fact they have a cheap point of sale light they can buy anywhere for $5 that Amazon is fine with that.

So if you are buying higher end stuff, be careful what vendor you use. I'm scratching Amazon off my list of known legit sources. Streamlight customer service was absolutely top shelf. I'll remain a customer.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is extremely disappointing.

You really really need to go post this as a review on their site for that specific product!
I did. You have to watch that too. When you read a review make sure it's the specific product you are looking at. Seems their website groups similar items of a particular type and brand together in a big pile.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is extremely disappointing.

You really really need to go post this as a review on their site for that specific product!

Also for the record, someone else has posted and said that they were told by Streamlight that to their knowledge this was the only model they know of to be counterfeited so far. I'd have been downright pissed and raised holy hell had it been a Surefire at their price point.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did. You have to watch that too. When you read a review make sure it's the specific product you are looking at. Seems their website groups similar items of a particular type and brand together in a big pile.

You're right... I've also had some poor reviews I wrote disappear from their site. But, you do what you can...

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've actually heard of fake TLR-1 rail lights as well.

I have the same light you just described and I L-O-V-E it! Dare I say that I even love it over my *gulp* Surefires. :faint:

Yup! I said it! Streamlight seems to out-do everything Surefire does lately. If SF releases a light with 500 lumens, Streamlight produces one with 650. I used to say that SFs customer service was better, but after reading your situation, I gotta say atta-boy to Streamlight. I just wish ALL of their products were made in America. :patriot: The only USA made Streamlights are the rechargeable Stinger series. The ProTacs, TLRs and all others are from China.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have learned there are some things you don't buy on Amazon. Electronics for one unless you know what your looking for in a genuine part. Don't buy apple cables. Half of them are fakes.

Don't buy batteries from Amazon either. They are more than likely genuine but have been sitting on a shelf somewhere and definitely don't have the shelf life as advertised. I bought some AAs that were supposed to have a 10year life. After sitting in the cabinet for 3 years, 90% were dead

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've actually heard of fake TLR-1 rail lights as well.

I have the same light you just described and I L-O-V-E it! Dare I say that I even love it over my *gulp* Surefires. :faint:

Yup! I said it! Streamlight seems to out-do everything Surefire does lately. If SF releases a light with 500 lumens, Streamlight produces one with 650. I used to say that SFs customer service was better, but after reading your situation, I gotta say atta-boy to Streamlight. I just wish ALL of their products were made in America. :patriot: The only USA made Streamlights are the rechargeable Stinger series. The ProTacs, TLRs and all others are from China.
Same here. Streamlight's stuff is good enough that I don't feel the need to pay for SF. I have this, a TL-2, TL-2 IR, a couple of TLR4s, and a couple of AA lanterns for the cellar. The TLR4 that I have on the 590A1 is holding up just fine and the laser actually holds zero on it. :thumb:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have learned there are some things you don't buy on Amazon. Electronics for one unless you know what your looking for in a genuine part. Don't buy apple cables. Half of them are fakes.

Don't buy batteries from Amazon either. They are more than likely genuine but have been sitting on a shelf somewhere and definitely don't have the shelf life as advertised. I bought some AAs that were supposed to have a 10year life. After sitting in the cabinet for 3 years, 90% were dead

Ha. I go through batteries way faster than that, so they work well enough.

I hear what you are saying though, which is why I made this post. If you are buying higher end stuff, know what to look for when you get it. Other stuff I buy for the convenience and some things I've saved a ton of money on. Needed a window switch for my truck. Got the price and P/N from Ford. Found out the actual manufacturer and looked it up on google. Ford wanted about $80, NAPA was around $60. Got it for $19 off of Amazon. Same with a factory Ford cooling fan assembly on the wife's car. I looked it over real close too and couldn't tell it apart from the factory part to include measuring the height if the digits molded into the plastic. $489 from Ford $269 from Autozone and $69 from Amazon in a Fo-Mo-Co box. Maybe it was a perfect counterfeit but it's still working.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ha. I go through batteries way faster than that, so they work well enough.

I hear what you are saying though, which is why I made this post. If you are buying higher end stuff, know what to look for when you get it. Other stuff I buy for the convenience and some things I've saved a ton of money on. Needed a window switch for my truck. Got the price and P/N from Ford. Found out the actual manufacturer and looked it up on google. Ford wanted about $80, NAPA was around $60. Got it for $19 off of Amazon. Same with a factory Ford cooling fan assembly on the wife's car. I looked it over real close too and couldn't tell it apart from the factory part to include measuring the height if the digits molded into the plastic. $489 from Ford $269 from Autozone and $69 from Amazon in a Fo-Mo-Co box. Maybe it was a perfect counterfeit but it's still working.
Those were **** hit the fan batteries, for just incase. had planned to put them to use after 5 years, but as usual in my house, no one but me ever marks done what they take or use so wa completely out of AAs and decided to bust into the emergency stash......

Amazon is still my go to for lower prices. The only thing that pisses me off really is since they teamed up with USPS, their delivery's are frequently late

Latest posts

Top Bottom