Amazon Prime...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, we dropped cable (only kept internet) and subscribed to Amazon for all their video content. For those that don't know, an Amazon Prime membership nets you free 2 day shipping, instant video content, prime music and the kindle lending library.

It's been quite awhile since we dropped Netflix (when they raised prices) and the Hulu 30-day trial expired along time ago. AP is $99 per year. We don't buy a ton a stuff, but we can probably recoup the $99 per yr pretty easily from the savings on shipping.

I guess one comment I have is that not everything on Amazon is free, only the Amazon Prime area. There is a bunch of content that has to be purchased like newer movies, TV shows, etc. and the selection seems to be so-so. We were in the mood for a comedy last night and so we searched by Genre. Net result: 13 movies and more than half of them we needed to pay...$2.99 and up. Although there is quite a bit we have on our watchlist and would probably never get bored, we never had that problem on Netflix...plus, Netflix had zero pay-for-content. Also, we had some things we put into our watchlist because that were included in AP area, but now require a payment. Basically some shows and movies float between free and pay?!

The long and short: Not all video content on Amazon is free, only in the items in AP area...which, when we signed up was a little misleading. I was thinking it was more like Netflix. Netflix is $7.99, so basically $4.12 cheaper and obviously the shipping doesn't factor in.

How has your experience been? Also, we use a 1 yr old Sony BD player to access AP. It's not terrible, but it isn't exactly user friendly. What do you use? I'm debating on the new Roku 3 ($99 with free shipping lol)

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I luvluvluv my Amazon Prime. But I knew not all the content was free when I signed up -- that's what happens when you spend 20+ years working for lawyers ... fine print (and it really wasn't really all that fine with Amazon -- they were pretty upfront) is your friend ... :P

I don't know what possessed me but last year I let Directv (which I don't have any problems with really) talk me into a 2 year contract after making some changes to our subscriptions. I can hardly wait until April 2015 gets here. I'm cutting that sucker off, getting an antenna, hooking up the Amazon Fire and I "might" get Netflix again, too ... we dropped them because their movies kept "buffering" and it was a nightmare to watch more than about the first 15 minutes or so ...

Of course, GC could retire and stay home and entertain me ... that would be a lot cheaper ... :P

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I got AP for the shipping about 2-3 years ago (or whenever it first started) it was $70 then and I easily save 3 x that on the free shipping. I order a LOT of stuff. The UPS man knows me by first name as he is there twice a week sometimes. Got a package in transits today in fact.
I use Netflix a lot and AP some for movies. Still have direct TV because of college football mostly. I need to cut that cord but it will be difficult.

ahamay6

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Amazon prime is not the answer if you are looking for a good video streaming service. It basically sucks unless you are only in to historical films. By historical I mean ones you have seen in the past. However, we love in Ada and there is no way I will ever go without amazon prime. The two day shipping and $3.99 overnight come in way too handy for us small towners. I would recommend it to anyone, but not for the video service. I do think it will be a good option for reddog and spata though as soon as they get this drone delivery thing set up.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use my PS3, best platform to access it from in my opinion that I've come across. I also have 2 different Sony blu ray players with it, but I don't like how it is setup, their "app" is a pain in the ass. Everything is much easier to use on the PS3 app. I've had it for 2+ years, and use Amazon to order everything I can when I can. I have 2 new tires on the way for my Buick actually, with free 2 day shipping. I've had stuff shipped to me that would normally be $100+ shipping for free 2 day shipping. I also like that you can upgrade most smaller items to 1 day shipping for $3.99, that is really nice as well.

Back to streaming though; I think the content selection is decent. It's not on par with netflix, but there is still a good selection. I dumped netflix years ago, I didn't like how often they updated their movie list. Amazon updates theirs monthly maybe it seems, but they don't add as much as netflix does when they actually do add more. The selling point for me was the shipping service. I consider the 2 streaming services pretty close to equal, netflix being slightly better content wise, but the shipping pushes AP way over what netflix can ever provide for the price, unless they were to start actually uploading new releases, then it might equal out. We also don't watch a lot of tv, so as long as there's a decent kids selection, which there is on AP, we are good. (We only have AP)

(AP has a tv show called Eureka, if you've never seen it, I would recommend watching it, starting at season 1. It's the best family friendly tv series I've watched.)

Haram

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Roku with Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus, and Netflix. With an internet connection that can handle constant streaming I don't go without something to watch. May not be newest content around but everything combined is still better price wise than a TV provider for me.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I signed up for AP when we purchased the Roku 3 earlier this year. If you are skeptical about it paying for itself. Keep in mind the number of things you probably already order online or could order online. Now add in the free "Prime" shipping and you more than likely have surpassed that membership fee. Buy your Christmas presents through Amazon and life gets easy. No need for possible assault charges from going to the mall.

The Mrs. and I are Deadliest Catch junkies. we have paid for each of this season's episodes through AP. Buying the standard definition version at $1.99 each. We are still ahead of what we would have paid Cox. Outside of this purchase we rarely pay for anything to watch. The occasional movie is expected. My boys are stuck on the PBS kids shows so no cost there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom