Anadarko Mazzos ,= layoff/ cant pay their rent

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What about the business owner that lost everything they had when the business had to shut it's doors? Are they the ones doing the hurting or are they hurt when everything they invested is gone and thier home & security is at stake. That's an awfully one sided arguement, seeing as how everyone involved loses when a local business close the doors.

The question was whether to warn the employees of the coming shutdown, did the employees cause the business failure and the owners losses?
A sudden unexpected job loss could cause other losses for some employees as well, do their losses matter less?
Because one is afraid the workers will do something unethical, (quit early/leave him hanging) it justifies him doing something ethically questionable, (not warning employees/leaving them hanging)?
Wouldn't either side doing something unethical be a one sided argument based on which "side of the coin" is in their best interest?

Twmaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this on-and-off today. I just don't see how anybody can point fingers at the business owner and say they've done something unethical by not telling their employees in advance they were shutting down. It's possible the owners didn't even come to a solid decision until that morning.

Even -if- the employers told the crew a week in advance what difference would it really have made? I mean really.

The only way I'd call foul is if the owner's had in some recent time frame had told the employees things were great and they had nothing to worry about.

Honestly I think everybody involved lost on this.

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this on-and-off today. I just don't see how anybody can point fingers at the business owner and say they've done something unethical by not telling their employees in advance they were shutting down. It's possible the owners didn't even come to a solid decision until that morning.

Even -if- the employers told the crew a week in advance what difference would it really have made? I mean really.

The only way I'd call foul is if the owner's had in some recent time frame had told the employees things were great and they had nothing to worry about.

Honestly I think everybody involved lost on this.
I agree, Mike. Do you really think the employee has as much to lose as the business owner? I saw what happened when a 350+ employee manufacturing plant announced company wide layoffs in two weeks. 32 folks showed up for work the next day and half of them did nothing. The owner had to hire an outside company to finish production on units already paid for. These were good paying jobs, but the employees felt betrayed. They never thought about the owner, who lost his house, investments, and is now working on the plant floor of his competition.

Twmaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen exactly that happen. I worked briefly for a huge computer manufacturer. They were shutting down a plant and many workers had the 'screw it' attitude. Just like you point out. Some of us still cared and did our (and their) jobs. It's sad, however as petty and vindictive as people can be I'd likely not announce a shutdown in advance if possible and I was in management.

When I lost my business everything else went with it. My home, my 'identity' and the few meager possessions I still had. At least the stuff I had not yet sold to keep the business afloat. I really regret the loss of 2 100+ year old metal lathes.

Thankfully I was the only real casualty of my failure.

While I am empathetic to the OP for the loss of his job I see far too many folks who cannot see past their own nose and liberally exercise their fingers wagging them at others.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been on both sides of the issue, management and non management. Most companies ask for two week notice, and I feel that they owe the employees at least that same consideration. I see Mike's point
about some having a "screw it" attitude and expect that would happen. I also think having a couple of weeks to plan ahead might make a big difference in some cases about what resources get spent and not. Blitzfike

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Chin up, lots of options out there, may not be what you want to do but it will give your more experiance for later in life

Latest posts

Top Bottom