Another hiccup with the sig 365 but the P07 was running like a cat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Quick question.... which do you feel is more reliable..... a gun with 2,000 rounds through it with no failures? or one with 200? Finally, is an owner likely to be more proficient with a gun after 2,000 rounds? or after 200?

I don't know what the 2,000 rd rule really consists of but I'm sure they want to you shoot at least some of your chose carry ammo through it. Personally, I kind of torture test mine. I put all sorts of ammo including several types of SD ammo through it, just to see what it will do. YMMV.
See post 13. Some on that forum apply the 2000 round rule before deeming a gun worthy of staking one's life on and willing to carry it.

I think that a few guns are somewhat GTG out of the box after a function check. G17 & G19, and M&Ps of most varieties. It you clean it, lube it, and it functions with cheap crap steel case ammo and some quality +P+ they are in all likelihood going to be good to go. Double check your carry load for function and accuracy and run with them. Other than those models I want some rounds through them like you and a box or two don't tell me much.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Quick question.... which do you feel is more reliable..... a gun with 2,000 rounds through it with no failures? or one with 200? Finally, is an owner likely to be more proficient with a gun after 2,000 rounds? or after 200?

I don't know what the 2,000 rd rule really consists of but I'm sure they want to you shoot at least some of your chose carry ammo through it. Personally, I kind of torture test mine. I put all sorts of ammo including several types of SD ammo through it, just to see what it will do. YMMV.

I don’t know if 2,000 means it is more reliable than 200 or not. It would seem so, but we both know that in either case, something could go wrong the next time you pull the trigger. I feel that one should buy a quality firearm, test it out until THEY are satisfied, clean and lube it, and go on about their business.

As far as proficiency after 2,000 rounds? I’d sure think so. But if there are mistakes being made at round 1 and not corrected, those same mistakes will more than likely still be there at round 2,000.

I’m sort of with you as far as testing a new gun; I run whatever mixed ammo I have through it, including some of what I will carry. I have a good supply of Federal 124 gr HST on hand right now, so I made sure to feed the PPS a box of that , after maybe 200-250 or so of mixed FMJ total. The pistol ran fine; I called it good, and it is ready for the holster as far as I’m concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You know since you said that @druyrj I think you're right. I just went and loaded the 365 with HST 124gr, put it in my Vedders pocket holster and stuck it in my britches. I'll switch out between that one and my Vedders AIWB. What the heck, I must of got one built on a Wednesday instead of on a Monday cause the dang thang works. Now I just gotta get over not having my M&P 340 on me. That's as bad as losing your favorite pocket knife.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What's the 556 story? I dont remember.

1. With the original 556 there were several problems when SigUSA began stamping the new receivers. While sig fixed the problems free of charge, QC was still a problem in the early days.

2. Sigs 556 owners wanted some changes to the rifle to make customization easier for things like folding sights and what not. Sig was supposed to upgrade parts to be sold to those that wanted them. This included, conversion kits to calibers like 300bo and 762x39. Instead Sig made completely new 556xi where the parts were not interchangeable. You had to buy a whole new rifle.

3. Sig never delivered on the conversion kits since most of its customer base felt burned by Sig. Sig also launched the MCX and focused on that project instead of delivering on conversion kits like they promised 556 owners. They finally killed the 556 altogether and are not even supporting the rifle with parts. So if you have a 556, when its done, its done. You will have to find one to buy and cannibalize it for parts.

The 556 and Xi had a slew of other problems too.

Sig is constantly taking short cuts with their guns. The first gen 516 (Piston AR) sported a barrel that was neither chrome lined or nitrided. Customers bitched about that to the point that in the Gen 2 rifle they put on a nitrided barrel. But owners of the Gen 1 never got their barrels replaced.

I love my 556 as it is but I cant shoot it any more, cuz once it breaks down from use, that's it, its done

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You know since you said that @druyrj I think you're right. I just went and loaded the 365 with HST 124gr, put it in my Vedders pocket holster and stuck it in my britches. I'll switch out between that one and my Vedders AIWB. What the heck, I must of got one built on a Wednesday instead of on a Monday cause the dang thang works. Now I just gotta get over not having my M&P 340 on me. That's as bad as losing your favorite pocket knife.

And I betcha that little pistol will serve you well. I hope. You hope. I think. Anyway, that M&P 340 is a proven POS. You need to just drop that junk off at my house for discreet disposal before anyone finds out you got one. Hurry! Moto-scoot that thing over here. I’m here and can take it off your hands right now. Free too, cause you’re a pal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember that about the 556 now. It seems sig just does not care about anything besides selling a new gun.

Interesting. My P365 was back to me in 10 days. In contrast.... I couldn't get Glock to address my FRTB problem in a large frame glock I had, and my G22 wouldn't run right with the WML. Got ignored on that one too.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score

I can see a rule of 2000 rounds before making it EDC BUT not 2000 rounds before cleaning it being the test, I would not do that to any piece of machinery!! Goes against all common sense in my opinion!!! Hell if I was in combat which is the only reason you would be running those kinds of numbers, I would still be breaking the weapon down and cleaning every chance I got!!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom