Any HVAC Techs Here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
2 hours every week to remove the housing is ridiculous. Screen are very common in the Deep South. Shouldn’t be an issue if removed and cleaned weekly (5 min not 2 hours) that’s a win.
if you think it's a good idea to take an expensive precision designed piece of equipment that has been engineered from the pitch of the fan blade,the rpm of the motor, the depth and angle of the venturi,the angle of the hail guard louvers and the number and spacing of the coil fins so that it moves a specific amount of air across the coils at a specific speed and dwell time on the surface of said coil to transfer heat at the optimum efficiency and just wrap some screen around it then I'm not sure I or anyone else can help you.

btw if you had bothered to read the thread you would know that not only did I not suggest spending 2 hours to remove the housing I advocated just that opposite. that is only necessary in rare cases where the coil is impacted between the fins

Last edited:

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
wrong, all you are doing is wearing out the screw holes so the panels rattle you can wash it out then wash all the stuff out of the bottom through the louvers. it's your unit and your money do what you want but you are wrong

the problem with dead people is they don't know they're dead
Same can be said for dumb people.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if you think it's a good idea to take an expensive precision designed piece of equipment that has been engineered from the pitch of the fan blade,the rpm of the motor, the depth and angle of the venturi,the angle of the hail guard louvers and the number and spacing of the coil fins so that it moves a specific amount of air across the coils at a specific speed and dwell time on the surface of said coil to transfer heat at the optimum efficiency and just wrap some screen around it then I not sure I or anyone else can help you.

btw if you had bothered to read the thread you would know that not only did I not suggest spending 2 hours to remove the housing I advocated just that opposite. that is only necessary in rare cases where the coil is impacted between the fins
Correct, you suggested cleaning it half assed.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've used a fiberglass screen on my A/C condenser for years and they even have them for sale and I've had no problems whatsoever. However, it is not recommended by A/C techs so I quit using the screen. There was a thread around 2-3 years ago on this forum that discussed the fiberglass screen and an A/C tech (Saddlebum) said no, it restricts air flow. Here is the thread title: Yet another air conditioning question

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't understand how a screen can both filter enough to make a difference and not alter air flow. But I could see in an extreme circumstance, a screen, while not recommended could save some time. I don't have any HVAC experience.

Maybe @Rooster1971 can throw his opinion in.

Latest posts

Top Bottom