Any T/C Contender shooters out there??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been known to spend a little time on this site, looking at barrels. http://edstc.com/

I've purchase a thing or two from Ed. My .41 barrel and a synthetic stock and forearm came from him at a wannenmacher's show a few years ago.

Just a reminder to folks thinking about contenders. Don't pair up a barrel less than 16" with the carbine stock unless you do the tax stamp. You will have created the evil SBR and it will bring about the end of the free world as we know it.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
My dad and I used to shoot them a lot, he shot a .30 Herret and shot mostly just .22 and .222. Had a 5mm mag and a .219 Zipper barrel, but sold those two, and wish I still had them.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Contender that I bought in 1980 at Fred Baker Fireaems. I actually found the receipt for it about a year ago. I gave $222 for it with a .222 barrel. Can't buy a new barrell for that much now. I now have six barrels for it, a 14' .222, A 10" .22LR, A 10"octagon .45/.410, a 14" .357 Herrett, a 10" .357 magnum, and a 10" octagon .44 magnum. The .222 has a Burris 3x12 scope. The .357 Herrett has a 4x Leupold, and the .357 mag has a 1.3x bushnell. I have a set of Pachmayer grips that I need for the Herrett and a Bianchi 101 leather holster that will fit a scoped 14" barrell. I put a spring kit in the frame and it has a very nice trigger pull. I love my Contender. I have had it longer than I have had my wife.

gemihur

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love hearing of contender experiences
variety really is the spice of life
6x45 with shrouded forearm sm.png
6x45
444 Marlin with Dolin Grips sm.jpg

deerstalker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh my yes, I have got and or trade off more barrels than I care to guess. .22 match, .223,7-30 waters, 6.8spc my favorite right now,357,41 mag,357 max,and 44 mag. in the stable now. love those tenders. love going to the range and out shooting those guys with fancy long range rifles. just makes there jaws drop.lol..

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wish I had never sold mine. When I quit shooting metallic silhouettes, I decided I had no need for it and let it go. Big mistake.

Farmer925

Marksman
Reaction score
Have a scoped 14 inch contender in 7-08. A friend of mine got me to shoot his during deer season years ago. Got hooked and bought the
7-08. It is easy to handle and accurate as hell as long as I do my part. I hunt some tight brush areas and the contender is just the ticket. I still use my other black powder and centerfires during the seasons.

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wish I had never sold mine. When I quit shooting metallic silhouettes, I decided I had no need for it and let it go. Big mistake.
My only reason for buying my first contender to shoot IHMSA Silhouettes. I found my first membership card in a box the other day- 1979 No. 3041. Shot mainly .22'a then. Also had .30 Herrett and 7 TCU. Time Circumstance took me away from that game and selling my several TC's helped buy milk and bread when I went back to college while still raising kids.

Have another Contender now in 22K-Hornet. Don't shoot it much, but won't get rid of it either. Love the gun. Also like metal sights the best. Never could shoot a scope well on a pistol. The one has a Red dot. Works, OK.

I have killed deer, antelope, javelina and feral hog with the .30 Herrett and a bear with the 7TCU. Bear dropped in tracks, stone cold dead. When the bullet was recovered, engraved with rifling, lead nose wiped clean and zero expansion-looked like an FMJ. Thank goodness I was a good shot back then, heart shot perfect. Lesson learned the the 7TCU is not a good bear cartridge and I will never pull that stunt again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom