Anybody smokin' today???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't care for the smoked cheese. And I tried the eggs like Dennis recommended before, that wasn't my thing, either.

But, I did do this yesterday:

i236.photobucket.com_albums_ff121_tRdoc_20170418_064053_zpsedgflm54.jpg

Jar on the left is red, orange and yellow bell peppers, onions and about 4 large jalapenos sliced in eighths lengthwise. Also added a couple tablespoons of brown sugar to this batch.

Jar on the right is same 4 largish jalapenos and some carrots and cucumbers.

I just did a simple brine - about a tablespoon of peppercorns, several cloves of chopped fresh garlic, couple bay leaves per jar and maybe a teaspoon or so of regular salt, then covered to the brim in apple cider vinegar. I'd always used plain vinegar in the past, but someone suggested apple cider vinegar on another forum and I thought it sounded good, so I went with that.

I think they're lookin' good! I guess they should be ready to try in about a week or so? From my last couple batches, which were several years ago, they didn't get really good penetration until around 2 weeks in the brine, but I was using larger eggs then.

<edit> I really think a food subforum here would be good. We have enough discussions about food-related topics, I think it would get more traffic than alot of our other subforums.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't care for the smoked cheese. And I tried the eggs like Dennis recommended before, that wasn't my thing, either.

But, I did do this yesterday:

i236.photobucket.com_albums_ff121_tRdoc_20170418_064053_zpsedgflm54.jpg

Jar on the left is red, orange and yellow bell peppers, onions and about 4 large jalapenos sliced in eighths lengthwise. Also added a couple tablespoons of brown sugar to this batch.

Jar on the right is same 4 largish jalapenos and some carrots and cucumbers.

I just did a simple brine - about a tablespoon of peppercorns, several cloves of chopped fresh garlic, couple bay leaves per jar and maybe a teaspoon or so of regular salt, then covered to the brim in apple cider vinegar. I'd always used plain vinegar in the past, but someone suggested apple cider vinegar on another forum and I thought it sounded good, so I went with that.

I think they're lookin' good! I guess they should be ready to try in about a week or so? From my last couple batches, which were several years ago, they didn't get really good penetration until around 2 weeks in the brine, but I was using larger eggs then.

<edit> I really think a food subforum here would be good. We have enough discussions about food-related topics, I think it would get more traffic than alot of our other subforums.

Agreed on the subforum. Could be wild game and everything else all rolled into one.

Hope you like the apple cider. I ruined a whole jar of japs, onions and other goodies because I just can't make myself like apple cider vinegar. Give me white vinegar with some sugar and salt and I'll eat the whole jar.

vooduchikn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's spiced up!
What are your spices?

Bone in pork butt

Paprika
Chili powder
Onion powder
Garlic powder
Salt
Black Pepper
Cayenne
Touch of cumin.

Should make a great bark

Will get my blend of Hickory, cherry and maple pellets @180 for a few hours and then finish off at 225 till done

Will post an after action report!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom