Anyone else have family that oppose CCW?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you all would just honor the wishes of the persons house you are at there would be no problem. There would be nothing to hide. Its your choice to go there or not. If my relatives or friends set rules that I don't like I can honor those rules by either staying away or complying. Whats so hard about that?

My house is my domain, my house is carry friendly, I still appreciate it if a guest let's me know they are carrying. Other's homes may not be carry friendly, it would be best to let someone know, and allow them the choice to allow you to carry in their house.

Well, the nature of the email I received basically asked me to disarm myself anytime I was around the family. Because we do a lot of activities outside any of our homes, you can see how this would be some what problematic.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well, the nature of the email I received basically asked me to disarm myself anytime I was around the family. Because we do a lot of activities outside any of our homes, you can see how this would be some what problematic.

Same choice to make here. Their property their rules. Outside their property its their choice to make whether or not to be around you. I see no reason for hiding or deceit.

Michael

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So have they responded to the Email you sent them?

Sometimes it's a big shock to people that you would even consider carrying a gun...
I would reply to the Email with reasons why ( as you have) and hope for the best.

But, I would not let that keep me from arming myself!!!! and if I could not do it in there house I would let them know that they were not welcome in mine.

Saur

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Nuts, family is one of the big reasons why I carry in the first place.

EDIT: for protecting the family! (though there are some relatives that.. nah... :B)

Dakota10986

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
This leads me to my other question...how many of you guys consider concealment above all else, ie, capacity, weight, gun, round, etc?
The thing is I was carrying my wife's Beretta Cheetah when I was caught. Strangely enough, I normally carry a 5" 1911 and up until
yesterday haven't had anyone say anything. This has me wondering if one of the pocket pistols is a better choice just for the fact that
they are easier to deeply conceal.

Although concealment is a very high priority...it's not necessarly the top of my list. I mean either a gun is concealed or it's not. (clearly seeing the print of what is obviously a pistol isn't really concealing so...i'd define concealing as carrying without anyone knowing that you are at all...in any way). You don't really have to make many compromises to get all of the aspects of a concealed weapon that you would want. I carry a Glock 30 (.45 ACP 10+1 capacity) in an MTAC holster and can completely conceal it with everything I wear...even durring summer when i wear shorts and a t-shirt everywhere. I still do carry a pocket pistol as a BUG though. I carry a NAA .22 Mag.

Yea that does suck that someone noticed but I wouldn't imagine it is that much of a problem. I mean as long as it's not a constant occurance. If it is then I'd work more on how you give someone a hug or w/e. Or you could always get a new holster and start carrying at 2:00 instead.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This leads me to my other question...how many of you guys consider concealment above all else, ie, capacity, weight, gun, round, etc?
The thing is I was carrying my wife's Beretta Cheetah when I was caught. Strangely enough, I normally carry a 5" 1911 and up until
yesterday haven't had anyone say anything. This has me wondering if one of the pocket pistols is a better choice just for the fact that
they are easier to deeply conceal.

Honestly, I change my clothes when I'm not sure if it is concealed enough. There's been Sunday mornings that I've changed shirts and/or pants four times to find a combination that not only concealed my gun but was also somewhat fashionable. I carry a 5" XD45.

I'm still saving for a J-frame for a second gun to carry in a pocket or ankle holster depending on my attire and situation.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand what concealed carry means, there's no reason to explain it to me.

So when something pops up that requires you to do reaching, bending, etc. that could unexpectedly expose your carry piece, do you run home and switch out what your carrying or do you only carry something that you can conceal while doing any possible activity even while on private property?

Just head for the nearest phone booth and change into your super hero outfit so you don't need your CCW ;)

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting dilemma. Fortunately I don't have any family that is opposed to it, or at least they have not voiced their opinion. I agree with what others have stated, though, in that now is a good time for education. The very weapon you are carrying could possibly save their life someday.
Only you know your family so hopefully you can all come to a good compromise.

Latest posts

Top Bottom