Anyone ride or own horses?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

springfield_45

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I need to sell an early to mid 50s western saddle and a newer English saddle. I really need someone to look at them and tell me what the might sell for. My family sold our horses about 15 years ago and these saddles have been sitting in storage since then. I have absolutely no idea what they are worth. I live in Midwest City if anyone local wants to look at them in person. Thanks for the help OSA!

The western is a Schoellkopf Famous Jumbo Brand saddle from Dallas. Not sure which specific model it is. It has a 14 inch seat with quick adjust stirrups. I also have a hackamore bitless bridle made in the same time period. I also have a newer breast strap and a girth strap to go with the this.

ai1238.photobucket.com_albums_ff500_mdagg_006.jpg

ai1238.photobucket.com_albums_ff500_mdagg_004.jpg

ai1238.photobucket.com_albums_ff500_mdagg_010.jpg

The English has no brand markings on it. I believe it's a 16 inch seat. This one has a girth strap as well and a nice saddle bag.

ai1238.photobucket.com_albums_ff500_mdagg_009.jpg

glock girl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ride horses. I can tell you that the size of the saddles drastically reduces the market for them. 15"-16" is the rough normal for a western saddle. 17"-18" is the normal size for an English saddle.

Double check and make sure you're measuring them right.

How to measure western: http://www.horsesaddleshop.com/howtomeaswes.html

Measuring English saddle seat size: http://www.tack-wholesale.com/Measure.html

Let me preface these estimates by saying that I'm not a tack expert. I'm just guessing based on a quality saddle to get used. Have no idea if the western one could be a collector's piece.

I'd say up to probably about $350 on the western saddle, assuming the tree is sound and there's no dry rot or anything on it.

On the english one, the non-padded flaps have pretty much gone out of vogue, so that does limit your market a bit. I'd say probably $150 at best.

I live in MWC and would be happy to take a look at them for you when I get back to town.

orangecrush1007

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife sold her Western[looks like that one you have]
and Australian? saddle last year and couldn't find any takers for over $150 for either of them.
Good luck with the sale.

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On the western saddle, if you can get $150 for it and not have to deliver it too far, then you should be hauling it right now. It doesn't look like a bad old saddle, just not the type there would be much demand for. It'd be okay for a young beginner if everything is solid and nothing much has to be replaced.

RWS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On the western saddle, if you can get $150 for it and not have to deliver it too far, then you should be hauling it right now. It doesn't look like a bad old saddle, just not the type there would be much demand for. It'd be okay for a young beginner if everything is solid and nothing much has to be replaced.

pretty much what he said. i've been building/repairing/trading saddles for a living for near 20 yrs now. 150 is about what you could realistically expect on the jumbo. you might get lucky with a private sale and get another 50-100. but if you take it to a horse sale and sell it through the tack auction, i would expect it to bring 100-200. it could go either way though. like carl said, its not that its not a decent old saddle, its just out of style. the bridle isnt worth much, 10-20 bucks maybe

i have taken english saddles in trade before and in N.E.OK, they seem to be worth about 25 bucks a peice. no matter size, style, maker, etc. i have listed them on craigs list, ran adds, everything i could think of to get rid of them. i pretty much had to give them away. maybe being nearer to a metro area, you'll have better luck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom