AOW vs SBS cost?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The discussion on the 14.5" barrel AOW got me thinking...is it really worth it from a money standpoint?

Seems the guys selling these, such as Serbu and such are charging a pretty good premium over a standard 500/870. Everybody is happy its only a $5 tax stamp vs the (I assume) $200 stamp....but at what premium...paying over 2x the price of a standard shotgun to save less than that on a tax stamp?
So...whats the appeal?
And thats comparing new to new...when you talk about stamping a used gun and cutting it down, the numbers line up even less.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It depends which way you go...

To "make" an AOW which you can do yourself with a Form-1, the NFA fee is $200.00. Once its "made", it can be transferred for $5.00.

The fee to both "make" and transfer a SBS is $200.00

I don't know if the 07/02 FFL who "makes" the AOWs are charged the $200.00 "making" fee or they just pay a yearly fee and make all they want.

If you get one from a dealer that's already registered as an AOW, the transfer fee is $5.00. I think the appeal is the cool factor.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The FFL that makes it is covered with his SOT (special occupation tax)

I recommend a Form 1 or Form 4 SBS. From there you can use a pistol grip on a SBS if you would like. (As long as you can return it to SBS configuration anyhow)

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would pay the extra $195 to shoulder the shotgun.

On the line of this topic i saw this picture w few days ago and feel it fits

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    83.5 KB · Views: 332

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its legal with that grip and a 14" barrel because the overall length is over 26.5" There are several companies that sell them already setup and or up upgraded.

https://www.slickguns.com/product/s...y-14-non-nfa-custom-mossberg-500-no-stamp-599

... unless you were not referring to my post in which I will go back under my rock.... :)

They are legal under federal statues because of the 26.5" overall length, but may be illegal under Oklahoma law as our state defines a "sawed off shotgun" as any shotgun with a barrel under 18". There is no mention of overall length under Oklahoma law.

Title 21 SS 1289.18

A. "Sawed-off shotgun" shall mean any firearm capable of discharging a series of projectiles of any material which may reasonably be expected to be able to cause lethal injury, with a barrel or barrels less than eighteen (18) inches in length, and using either gunpowder, gas or any means of rocket propulsion.

B. "Sawed-off rifle" shall mean any rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than sixteen (16) inches in length or any weapon made from a rifle (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if such a weapon as modified has an overall length of less than twenty-six (26) inches in length, including the stock portion.

C. Every person who has in his possession or under his immediate control a sawed-off shotgun or a sawed-off rifle, whether concealed or not, shall upon conviction be guilty of a felony for the possession of such device, and shall be punishable by a fine not to exceed One Thousand Dollars ($1,000.00), or imprisonment in the State Penitentiary for a period not to exceed two (2) years, or both such fine and imprisonment.

D. It is a defense to prosecution under this section, if the approved application form that authorized the making or transfer of the particular firearm to the defendant, which indicates the registration of the firearm to said defendant pursuant to the National Firearm's Act, is introduced

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While on the subject...in the other thread a member guessed that they dont consider the Judge a SBS because its rifled...however the OK law specifies no such thing of smooth bore vs rifled (at least not in the section pasted above).
So TECHNICALLY if you got pulled over with a Judge loaded with .410...could they get you for a short barrel shotgun?
Seems unlikely but possible.

Latest posts

Top Bottom