Apple Mac running MS Office or a PC/MS based Laptop?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mac with Office, PC/MS Laptop, Other

• Mac running office is the heat

Votes: 28 65.1%
  • PCs will always rule

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • Other

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cigman1st

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go Apple. I'm 50 years old and I've used windows my whole career. I am a heavy MS Office user-primarily excel/word/access in the financial and university settings. About five years ago my son wanted to move from his MacBook back to Windows so I bought it from him...it was the best move ever. Since then he has gone back to Mac. I am on my third MacBook, the Air this time, not because I had to but because I wanted newer stuff. In fact, the original MacBook that started all of this, son to me to wife to mother-in-law still runs strong, never having an issue. My daughter and her husband are now converts and as recent as this Christmas, my parents have been brought over. In four families, we all have iPhones, iPads, MacBooks, and even AppleTv. None of these devices have ever failed and all use Office. Now about that, I have always downloaded the free software, Open Office, on all of the MacBooks. Basically it is an open architecture version for Apple that works and looks basically the same. As I stated, in my finance industry job excel is 98% of my work. I routinely email excel files between home and work with never a hiccup. I have recently considered purchasing the "OFFICIAL" MS office version for my Apple just to see what the difference is, but even the techs at any of the stores say "don't waste your money, there are too many free apps that do the same."

I mentioned the parents migration this Christmas. If you or any others reading this are like me, I spend some time on the phone trying to solve Mom and Dad's Windows PC viruses, file problems, etc. For my piece of mind and simply time restrictions they now have a MacBook Pro and an Ipad. They picked it up in a day and other than the minimal "newby" to Apple questions - not one problem.

I still use windows machines at work, as that is what is supported, but at home...Apple all the way. I hope this helps.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go Apple. I'm 50 years old and I've used windows my whole career. I am a heavy MS Office user-primarily excel/word/access in the financial and university settings. About five years ago my son wanted to move from his MacBook back to Windows so I bought it from him...it was the best move ever. Since then he has gone back to Mac. I am on my third MacBook, the Air this time, not because I had to but because I wanted newer stuff. In fact, the original MacBook that started all of this, son to me to wife to mother-in-law still runs strong, never having an issue. My daughter and her husband are now converts and as recent as this Christmas, my parents have been brought over. In four families, we all have iPhones, iPads, MacBooks, and even AppleTv. None of these devices have ever failed and all use Office. Now about that, I have always downloaded the free software, Open Office, on all of the MacBooks. Basically it is an open architecture version for Apple that works and looks basically the same. As I stated, in my finance industry job excel is 98% of my work. I routinely email excel files between home and work with never a hiccup. I have recently considered purchasing the "OFFICIAL" MS office version for my Apple just to see what the difference is, but even the techs at any of the stores say "don't waste your money, there are too many free apps that do the same."

I mentioned the parents migration this Christmas. If you or any others reading this are like me, I spend some time on the phone trying to solve Mom and Dad's Windows PC viruses, file problems, etc. For my piece of mind and simply time restrictions they now have a MacBook Pro and an Ipad. They picked it up in a day and other than the minimal "newby" to Apple questions - not one problem.

I still use windows machines at work, as that is what is supported, but at home...Apple all the way. I hope this helps.

With the exception of business types, this has been pretty much my experience. I have both and rarely use a PC if not at work. I don't have time to wait on Windows to work.

DFralish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
how do you feel that the build quality of a 2011 macbook air compares to, say, an HP g6X?

Can't answer that as I haven't done any research. Personally though, would get some form of a tablet before an "air"! Just my opinion, but an air isn't much more than a folding iPad and wouldn't own an iPad sooooo.... I must admit, I do have a 16GB iPod Touch and wife and I both have iPhone 4's. The iPhone is history at the end of the contract in favor of a real phone! Clearly you can see I'm no fan of Apple products. Reasoning is cost is just stupid and I feel I can do just as much or more with an Intel system running some sort of X, and Droid is simply superior to iOS!

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't answer that as I haven't done any research. Personally though, would get some form of a tablet before an "air"! Just my opinion, but an air isn't much more than a folding iPad and wouldn't own an iPad sooooo.... I must admit, I do have a 16GB iPod Touch and wife and I both have iPhone 4's. The iPhone is history at the end of the contract in favor of a real phone! Clearly you can see I'm no fan of Apple products. Reasoning is cost is just stupid and I feel I can do just as much or more with an Intel system running some sort of X, and Droid is simply superior to iOS!

You are correct. You haven't done any research. But go ahead and continue to bash products you have no idea about. LOL!

Latest posts

Top Bottom