AR-15 Brands Ranked

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s amazing how we’ve figured out a way to turn a lightweight basic infantry rifle/carbine designed to be cheaply manufacture into an overweight pig that can be finicky. Same goes for the AK series.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s amazing how we’ve figured out a way to turn a lightweight basic infantry rifle/carbine designed to be cheaply manufacture into an overweight pig that can be finicky. Same goes for the AK series.

How can everybody get rich off of 'cheap and light'? Gotta support the 'system', man!! LOL

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think they’ve all used the same aluminum forging companies for their parts. There’s maybe only 10 total across the country. I don’t think that an ambi billet lower and a gas piston upper should drive the price of any production gun into the $2000+ price range. The AR snobs just want the logo on their lower more than anything, then they’ll throw on an Eotech or a Nightforce scope just so they can take pictures of their guns to flex on each other on Facebook.

You are right, there are some RUB Gucci snobs out there that have to have the “ new most expensive boom stick” look at me type. Most would do better buying a few thousand rounds and a cheeper rifle.

I’ve built all of my AR rifles. Except one. I bought a Ruger 556 off another member about 4 or 5 years ago. I was kind of excited. My first factory built AR. I know Ruger isn’t the end all Manufacturer but I like lots of their firearms. I liked the take down ARs that Ruger discontinued. I’m guessing they were to expensive or didn’t hold 0 good enough. Thought it was a cool idea.

Not going to lie, it be nice to have one of those Nightforce scopes to work with. Not a fan of EOTechs mainly cause of my astigmatism. I can’t take advantage of them. I do like Aimpoints. I also like Primary Arms knock offs. A lot cheeper red dots or scopes. Working man prices.

Last edited:

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seadog typed "It is indeed hilarious and complete BS. Barrel and BCG is the important stuff. The rest is fluff."

What is hilarious is that you think everyone on that list makes their own barrels, bolts and carriers! Colt has used at least 3 different barrel makers at times to include GM and Diemaco, all licensed by Colt, but not made by Colt. Green Mountain barrels supply several of the mentioned makers. Saber Defence made barrels, bolts and carriers for FN, Bushmaster, Noveske (bolts and carriers). Nordic Components make all sorts of parts, for at least 1/4 of all listed companies. I could go on, but you get the idea, or don't.
Maybe you guys think the New Process transmission in your Ford was made by Ford, and the New Process transmission in your Chevy was made by Chevy instead of the New Process transmission company, but everyone knows the New Process transmission in the Ford is better because Ford is engraved on it!
I as in me does not think that those big name manufacture make all their barrels or BCGs in house. Didn’t post that. Not sure where you got that. Merely stating a good barrel and BCG is all that matters. For example I like Criterion barrels. Have had some good luck with them. Been waiting on another but they have been out forever. My understanding is they do make theirs.

I was agreeing with your previous post and just putting in my 2 cents that got misconstrued. I’m quite aware that a large portion of the AR platform parts are outsourced. Well aware of the numerous different foundries not that I could name them. Wasn’t contradicting you if it sounded that way.

Actually was impressed with your experience that you stated you had working on M14s. Don’t come across real military armorers often. Not to mention ones that work on those old war horses. We had m14 in our armory on the old haze grey tub I floated around on. Even got to fondle them a little. Cool old rifle.

Never was a brand name truck man. Never understood that. I Prefer Ford for the simple fact they didn’t go bankrupt and get bailed out with tax money like many others. It’s more my choice of not supporting other crap bag companies that screwed the tax payer. Don’t really care where they acquire their parts, transmissions or technology from. Heck the bastardoes are even making some of the Bronco or parts in old Mexico. Be nice if it was all made here by Americans but NAFTA stuck the fork in that. Long as it works and doesn’t crap out prematurely I’m good.

Last edited:

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I posted this article just to start a conversation on something actually gun related here, not to get anyone riled up because what they own wasn't mentioned or ranked lower than they think it should be.

Articles like this are never all inclusive or even completely accurate. The author states that PSA, Anderson and such are good enough rifles for self defense after they are proven reliable.

With that being said, are some of you guys saying that there is no difference between an Anderson brand complete rifle and a Daniel Defense complete rifle other than price?

Not arguing, just asking for opinions.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are differences, I think a good bit are cosmetic, some due to tolerances, quality of assembly, and some may actually improve on the original design.

I think having ambidextrous controls is definitely advantageous for everyone not just left handed people.

Barrel manufacturing is always an interesting topic because there are different ways of producing quality barrels.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I posted this article just to start a conversation on something actually gun related here, not to get anyone riled up because what they own wasn't mentioned or ranked lower than they think it should be.

Articles like this are never all inclusive or even completely accurate. The author states that PSA, Anderson and such are good enough rifles for self defense after they are proven reliable.

With that being said, are some of you guys saying that there is no difference between an Anderson brand complete rifle and a Daniel Defense complete rifle other than price?

I’d assume that there would be a difference in the barrel and probably the BCG used between the two, most likely. May or may not get a better trigger in the DD. Guess it depend on what was ordered. I’d figure the Anderson would probably be stock GI. That’s just my 2 cents. Nothing wrong with either.

Regardless the brand it should be took out and given some good trigger time just to see what it can do.

CSeverns

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Not at all. Top tier ARs are much better than cheap ones and it doesn’t take a gunsmith or an engineer to determine that. Most of them are equipped with better barrels, better BCGs (like ones made from titanium that can take an absolute beating), the lowers are usually billet with ambi controls and have a much better fit and finish. Many of the top tier brands like HK and POF use a gas piston system on their top end models as opposed to DI. This combined with a mid-length gas system and adjustable gas block means their guns run much cleaner which makes them much more reliable. Quality control for the top tier companies is much better, mostly because they don’t sell as many rifles as the lower tier brands. They come with better furniture, more options, better warranties, etc. Do all of these extra features really matter when the **** hits the fan? not really.

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not to ruin this thread but anyone remember that $8000 AR that was for sale on here last summer?

I didn't buy it, but I dang sure laughed a lot at that one.

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As for the manufacture of weapon assemblies and entire guns, yeah it's hard to say who built what part these days. It is the same situation for military hardware, I deal with that everyday in my semi-professional world. It's hard to find a good vendor that stays in business and when the U.S. Government puts its stamp on it for purchase it is almost exclusively still made in the USA unless it is beneficial to buy Commercial Off The Shelf (COTS) items.

It is the reality of today. Anyone want to go into business I have a few ideas on how to make a bazillion dollars, lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom