AR Ammo Recommendations for Hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CGS1

I'm Retired, Do It Yourself.
Special Hen
Reaction score
For years now I have used Hornady V Max 55 gr. One in the heart or lungs and its done.
Thats what brought this one down.
pix162570501-1.jpg

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just yak a lot.

I have 2 rifles with 1:7 twist 16" barrels AR's and 2 1:9 twist bolt .223 rifles and they all love the 55gr V-Max.
You are not that far from me if you think you want to build some ammo for that gun.
If all the store stuff proves to be inaccurate that is , holler at me and I can give you some to try or meet you at a range like Lexington etc etc.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lay in the dirt or perched in a tree and fire a shot with the wind in your face..I have had dirt and dust get in my eyes from the blast shaking everything loose in the tree.
Hate them.
Recoil reduction is not really needed in a gun like that for hunting.
My opinion though.
I shot the 69 gr Tipped match kings and some stuff i the 70+ gr area and the drop and velocity loss compared to the 55gr V-Max was way too much.

When you go shooting get a big piece of cardboard and shoot at it aiming at the same point with your different rounds.
I did that every 100 yards out to 500 yards and the heavy bullets never caught up.
It was like they were bricks falling out of the sky.

Latest posts

Top Bottom