AR Mags for deer hunting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok this may have been discussed before but I couldnt find it. So for all of you deer hunting with an AR in .223 what mags are you using? I can only find a few places that make 5rd mags. Does anyone make a 7rd?
Thanks

Dpms makes the 5rd mags I have. You can get pmags in 20rd look that are CA legal and only have 10rd capacity. Then you have to mod them so that they only hold 7rds.

Its never been worth it to me.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been writing hate mail to the ODWC lately because of this stupid rule. If you have an AR in any other caliber, you can legally have a 100 round drum.

If you google "5 round AR magazines", you'll get a few replies you can check on.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
academy was selling ar mags that are for deer hunting back when I deer hunted with an ar I lost my mag so I got one of my crappy mags and cut it down and clipped the spring then used a mig welder to tack it up and it lasted for years.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been writing hate mail to the ODWC lately because of this stupid rule. If you have an AR in any other caliber, you can legally have a 100 round drum.

If you google "5 round AR magazines", you'll get a few replies you can check on.

No joke - WTF is the deal with that. Just clips or magazines of all .22 caliber center-fire rifles - that and the stupid suppressor rule are the two dumbest rules in ODWC's entire regs.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No joke - WTF is the deal with that. Just clips or magazines of all .22 caliber center-fire rifles - that and the stupid suppressor rule are the two dumbest rules in ODWC's entire regs.

I stand to be corrected, but the wildlife department does not pass rules or regulations. That is up to the legislature to do that.
The last couple of years, the wildlife dept has been suprised by the legislature in passing a law to make it legal for everybody to use crossbows, etc.
The wildlife department can only recomend, not pass laws.

Hoss

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
When a buddy need a rifle to deer hunt, I cut a wood block and put it in the bottom of a 20 round magazine. Works great and only took a couple of minutes to get it to the right length.

Latest posts

Top Bottom