AR15 upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ParatusForty-Six

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Absolutely nothing wrong with an AR as your primary HD gun. If you're talking truly "necessary" add-ons, then you can do the following and no more:

- Weapon light with as many lumens as you can afford. Don't buy into the BS that 800 lumens is too many, because that's all it is.
- Sling
- Red dot optic
- Irons
- Some kind of blast management system that directs gasses and noise forward. A suppressor is ideal, but....

Also, that's assuming all quality, duty-grade parts. Anything above and beyond that, for my money, are wants. An SBR set up thus will be fun to shoot at the range, and will do work as an HD ratchet.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
AR's are literally Barbie for men. A lot of your accessorizing boils down to your tastes. After owning quite a few, doing a TON of research and examining my own needs, I've run the gamut and really settled on the lightweight, KISS principle. My mods are driven by reliability, durability, speed of use and practical accuracy.

Triggers: I have two trigger solutions, cheap and expensive. Cheap is a set of JP springs, speed hammer cut on a quality mil-spec LPK and fluff & buff on engagement surfaces = done. Expensive is summed up with one word: Geissele. I won't use any other trigger setups.

Furniture: Whatever is the lightest that will balance the handling and provide durability. I'm selective on stocks in particular and prefer Vltor, Magpul or B5 Systems. Forends must have robust mounting systems and as little forward weight as possible, while affording decent rigidity.

BUIS: KAC, Bobro or Troy (in that order).

Optics: Aimpoint Micro RDS (Vortex or Leupold for magnified). I'm anxious to see field reports on Vortex's new Holographic Sight Razor AMG UH-1 though.

Accessories: A really good sling (Vickers BFG VCAS 2pt for me), light (Surefire always) and either a quality handstop or cut down VFG.

That's it. If it weighs more than 7.5# fully loaded with all accessories attached (16"), it's too heavy for anything but precision work. But that's just me. :coffee2:

Last edited:

ShaunyP26

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Absolutely nothing wrong with an AR as your primary HD gun. If you're talking truly "necessary" add-ons, then you can do the following and no more:

- Weapon light with as many lumens as you can afford. Don't buy into the BS that 800 lumens is too many, because that's all it is.
- Sling
- Red dot optic
- Irons
- Some kind of blast management system that directs gasses and noise forward. A suppressor is ideal, but....

Also, that's assuming all quality, duty-grade parts. Anything above and beyond that, for my money, are wants. An SBR set up thus will be fun to shoot at the range, and will do work as an HD ratchet.

Definitely getting a suppressor, but waiting for that. I think HPA has a decent shot at passing soon. Plus I already paid one tax stamp in the last 30.

A lot of my neighbors are really close and I really don't see the AR as an ideal home defense weapon when the tactical shotgun I have is better. It seems a bit overkill. Just my opinion and personal tastes.

ShaunyP26

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the EO tech red dot and magnifier combo? That's what I was leaning towards for upgrade, because I like the flexibility. Thought about the Leupold HAMR as well and the Trijicon ACOG, but the ACOG is close to 2 grand with the red dot added in.

I have a Sig Romeo 3 red dot that is adequate, but it seems more suitable for a pistol. I somewhat regret going that route, though the sight is a quality sight for $400.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For sure. Just waiting on the trust from the lawyer and it's going out. I love the Strike industries dust cover on mine as well. Their flat buffer spring has also made quite the difference as well. Here's how it looks so far. I still plan to get it cerakoted.

View attachment 97673

That rifle makes my head hurt, at least you filed your form 1, all I got yo say about that.

ShaunyP26

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That rifle makes my head hurt, at least you filed your form 1, all I got yo say about that.

Lol. Head hurts how?

ATF rules and parlance require me to refer to it as a pistol and not a rifle. You know, because I can totally conceal it in my pants and use with one hand like a glock or something comparable. A pistol. Yeah that's right.

ParatusForty-Six

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Meh. To each his own, but the SBR will be more wieldy and your over-penetration fears are pretty common, but largely unfounded. There are lots of things in play there, but the AR is absolutely a viable and effective HD tool.

ShaunyP26

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Meh. To each his own, but the SBR will be more wieldy and your over-penetration fears are pretty common, but largely unfounded. There are lots of things in play there, but the AR is absolutely a viable and effective HD tool.

Well part of it is also i read it needs to be locked up and secured once stamped. I'd rather just leave it in the safe when I have a decent enough alternative.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You know, something interesting I found out recently about the Ferfrans CRD. The shrouded brake actually is about 70% less efficient, in terms of amount of recoil reduction, compared to the brake without the shroud. That's what TTAG determined during their first round of muzzle brake comparisons in 2014.

ShaunyP26

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know, something interesting I found out recently about the Ferfrans CRD. The shrouded brake actually is about 70% less efficient, in terms of amount of recoil reduction, compared to the brake without the shroud. That's what TTAG determined during their first round of muzzle brake comparisons in 2014.

That makes sense, because I would think it would reduce the stability you get from the gases expelling outward from the brake. The shroud is mainly for crowded ranges, as it reduces the sidewards energy and pushes it forward. That's mainly why I got it. I have not taken it off yet, but plan to.

Latest posts

Top Bottom