Are motorcycles totally exempt from noise ordinances in OK?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trickydick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
(1.4) * (286.9 J/K kg) * (absolute temperature). Wow that clears up everything. I can tell you this, when I drive in the summer time(when the most bikes are on the road) with my windows up and a/c on full blast I don't hear any of them if they're not with in 20 foot of my vehicle and usually stopped at a light. Front strobes should be and are illegal as they blind everyone else on the road. The few accidents that I know of around here involving cars or trucks against motorcycles, the drivers just had their heads way up their asses and no pipes or strobes would have mad any difference. My truck is a 24 foot long Dodge 3/4 ton diesel and every now and again someone acts like they can't see that big ole truck and pulls out in front of me or cuts me off.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They really shouldn't be exempt from noise restrictions, that whole "loud pipes saves lives" is BS anyway, with your exhaust pointed rearward and with forward movement the loud pipes noise is behind you and oncoming folks really don't hear it anyway. The strobe brake lights work pretty well.

Yep, that's why I've learned to just pass them. Happened last nigh on the creek with a group, as one of them was particularly obnoxious.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahoma Statutes

"Every vehicle shall be equipped, maintained, and operated so as to prevent excessive or unusual noise. Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a muffler or other effective noise-suppressing system in good working order and in constant operation, and no person shall use a muffler cut-out, bypass or similar device. No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in any manner which will amplify or increase the noise or sound emitted louder than that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle."

whiskeysnoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Loud pipes save lives?? BullS$#%. Pipes are loudest at the exhaust end, much like a firearm muzzle. By the time you hear the moron's "cool" pipes he's already past you or t-boned you. It's actually hazardous because it makes me want to chase them down and choke them. This "safety measure" coming from the same folks who wear no helmets and have the tiniest taillights they can find.

And yes, I ride. Everyday. In all weather. Not just 2 miles to the yippie biker bar

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahoma Statutes

"Every vehicle shall be equipped, maintained, and operated so as to prevent excessive or unusual noise. Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a muffler or other effective noise-suppressing system in good working order and in constant operation, and no person shall use a muffler cut-out, bypass or similar device. No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in any manner which will amplify or increase the noise or sound emitted louder than that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle."

Doesn't apply to motorcycles.

http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=438397

Even then, I think that law rivals Oklahoma tint law for least enforcement.

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They really shouldn't be exempt from noise restrictions, that whole "loud pipes saves lives" is BS anyway, with your exhaust pointed rearward and with forward movement the loud pipes noise is behind you and oncoming folks really don't hear it anyway. The strobe brake lights work pretty well.

So what you're saying is that you have to be right in front of stereo speakers to hear anything out of a stereo?
Also, if what you say is true I shouldn't be able to hear my bike when in the saddle since the pipes exit behind me?

I know people hear me coming because I see them glance around to see where the sound is, and when the glare of the chrome hits they know.

Latest posts

Top Bottom