Army picks Sig Sauer's P320 handgun to replace M9 service pistol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
WOW!!!

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/01...320-handgun-to-replace-m9-service-pistol.html

The U.S. Army on Thursday awarded Sig Sauer a contract worth $580 million to make the next service pistol based on the company's P320 handgun.

Sig Sauer beat out Glock Inc., FN America and Beretta USA, the maker of the current M9 9mm service pistol, in the competition for the Modular Handgun System, or MHS, program.

"We are both humbled and proud that the P320 was selected by the U.S. Army as its weapon of choice," Ron Cohen, chief executive officer of Sig Sauer, said in a statement to Military.com here at SHOT Show, the world's largest gun show, taking place this week in the city.

"Securing this contract is a testimony to Sig Sauer employees, their commitment to innovation, quality and manufacturing the most reliable firearms in the world," Cohen added.

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would have never guessed that one over the many other guns they could have chosen. I love mine for sure, but just doesn't seem military and combat worthy IMHO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like them a lot too. Their plastic seems soft and prone to scratching compared to other manufacturers but that’s just the surface. Gear that’s been issued more than a day or two looks like hell anyway. Sig is sure going to see a massive uptick in aftermarket support. Congrats to Sig!

firefighterguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would have never guessed that one over the many other guns they could have chosen. I love mine for sure, but just doesn't seem military and combat worthy IMHO.

The gun submitted by Sig isn't the same one you and I can buy. It has different features including a manual safety.

firefighterguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That makes sense. I would be interested to see the version they have.

Supposedly the bottom one
e2977cac97dfb859b5b29c4789720434.jpg

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would bet the .mil version becomes commercially available. I really thought Smith was going to win, but after their early dismissal and the Glock arrival, I thought Glock won. Smith's woes bit them again.

bigchuck83

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am more surprised this hasn't been like previous times when time and money was wasted only to keep the current Beretta pistol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom