Arrowheads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
flint.jpeg
:laugh6:

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
im not expert, i know just enough about this stuff to say something stupid. but my brother is consumed by arrowheads and fossils. if you are finding that many flakes (debitage) youre probably on or very near some type of old encampment. look in the creek below where you find all the flakes after a rain, any place where "arrowhead" sized gravel accumulates, youll probably find some more. and dennis is right, there is definitely some kay county chert in there. that red shiny one is interesting though, its beautiful looking material but it doesnt quite look as old as the others. thats awesome that you have a site like that.

Buck98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
im not expert, i know just enough about this stuff to say something stupid. but my brother is consumed by arrowheads and fossils. if you are finding that many flakes (debitage) youre probably on or very near some type of old encampment. look in the creek below where you find all the flakes after a rain, any place where "arrowhead" sized gravel accumulates, youll probably find some more. and dennis is right, there is definitely some kay county chert in there. that red shiny one is interesting though, its beautiful looking material but it doesnt quite look as old as the others. thats awesome that you have a site like that.
I have found some in the creek bottom’s. Most of the flakes are found higher up where I believe an encampment might have been as you stated as well. There are a couple spots that I plow up for food plots and then I plow trails for fire breaks. After it rains my wife and I try to keep our eyes peeled and we usually find something. I’m wondering if it was a campsite if there would possibly be a burial site somewhere that I need to avoid when plowing. Would like to find someone more knowledgeable than myself and let them look at the few specimens that I have.

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have found some in the creek bottom’s. Most of the flakes are found higher up where I believe an encampment might have been as you stated as well. There are a couple spots that I plow up for food plots and then I plow trails for fire breaks. After it rains my wife and I try to keep our eyes peeled and we usually find something. I’m wondering if it was a campsite if there would possibly be a burial site somewhere that I need to avoid when plowing. Would like to find someone more knowledgeable than myself and let them look at the few specimens that I have.
I don’t keep up with the artifact show schedules, but just about any show would probably have someone that would talk with you about what you have. From my little interaction with them, they’re a pretty open and engaging lot. I believe there’s one of the bigger OK shows of the year in Fairview on Oct 7. There will be people at that one that can answer any question you’d have. Facebook used to have several very informative OK-centric artifact groups, I don’t recall their names though. There is a book called “the Overstreet guide”, it is the standard for typology/value.

Buck98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t keep up with the artifact show schedules, but just about any show would probably have someone that would talk with you about what you have. From my little interaction with them, they’re a pretty open and engaging lot. I believe there’s one of the bigger OK shows of the year in Fairview on Oct 7. There will be people at that one that can answer any question you’d have. Facebook used to have several very informative OK-centric artifact groups, I don’t recall their names though. There is a book called “the Overstreet guide”, it is the standard for typology/value.
Thanks. I’ll check out that guide.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I knew a couple when I lived in Tulsa that found points in the Arkansas river. His wife had a Paleo point. It was pretty big. They lived in ba I believe.
I’ve found several in the Arkansas River. Friend has an air boat so occasionally we go hit some sandbars and shallow areas to look for artifacts.
We find lots of fossilized bison teeth and the occasional point.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have found a few beautiful points living in Arkansas Buffalo river country and working Ft Leonard Wood Missouri. Some beautiful pink tiny birdpoints on the banks of Gasconade river and while elk hunting in Colorado I found an amazing obsidian multi edged tool next to beautiful flat grassy spot next to a beautiful little creek where I bet some Ute hunter or squaw left it while cleaning game

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I’ve found several in the Arkansas River. Friend has an air boat so occasionally we go hit some sandbars and shallow areas to look for artifacts.
We find lots of fossilized bison teeth and the occasional point.

My grandmother found a large metate on the banks of the Arkansas River up in Kansas.

Latest posts

Top Bottom