Arrowheads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Somebody knowledgeable on stone points. I have found several arrowheads on our property over the years. I have a few my neighbor gave me and some my dad had. There are a few places on our property that I have found all these “flakes” and wondering if anyone has any input about the authenticity of them. As you can see in the pictures. The one picture shows a couple of the bigger pieces that I’ve found. The cartridge is 17 Remington for comparison.
Any input would be appreciated.
IMG_5585.jpeg
IMG_5586.jpeg
IMG_4179.jpeg

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Buck98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There’s a high spot on our property that has a creek to the east and one to the west. We found all of these flakes in that general area. Thinking that it might have been a campsite at one time. Three of these my dad had and the dark in the bottom left corner I made. A neighbor who died a few years ago showed me how to make it. He did flint napping.
IMG_4171.jpeg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some of the pink ones in the third pic appear to be Kay County chert. In its raw form it’s gray. After being heat treated to make it easier to Knapp, it turns pink in color with fossils sometimes found in the chert. It could be rose quartz as well, hard to tell unless seeing it in person.
I knapped for several years after seeing a friend’s collection of real flint points wanting to learn how it was done and some history.
Native Americans from as far away as Minnesota came to the Kay County area to get that chert as it was so easy to work. They traded raw copper for it that vastly increased how quick points could be knapped vs using other stones or hardened animal bones.
It’s an interesting process to learn and gives an appreciation for the skills Native Americans had to build their tools.
After attending some Knapp-ins which are like gun shows among those that work flint, I saw some true works of art. One guy from Colorado was the only person that ever built a point that was 1/8” thick, 8” long and made a 360 degree turn from the haft (bottom) to the point. He said it took him 20 years to make one that didn’t break before the final product. I don’t have a pic, but that work of art belongs in a museum.
This pic is some “bird points” I knapped. Bird points were typically used as gifts among tribes, not really used for hunting as legend has it.
There is a dime in the lower left corner for reference. I tried to imitate the styles from Clovis to much later. Some are close, some not so close.

IMG_2073.jpeg

Buck98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some of the pink ones in the third pic appear to be Kay County chert. In its raw form it’s gray. After being heat treated to make it easier to Knapp, it turns pink in color with fossils sometimes found in the chert. It could be rose quartz as well, hard to tell unless seeing it in person.
I knapped for several years after seeing a friend’s collection of real flint points wanting to learn how it was done and some history.
Native Americans from as far away as Minnesota came to the Kay County area to get that chert as it was so easy to work. They traded raw copper for it that vastly increased how quick points could be knapped vs using other stones or hardened animal bones.
It’s an interesting process to learn and gives an appreciation for the skills Native Americans had to build their tools.
After attending some Knapp-ins which are like gun shows among those that work flint, I saw some true works of art. One guy from Colorado was the only person that ever built a point that was 1/8” thick, 8” long and made a 360 degree turn from the haft (bottom) to the point. He said it took him 20 years to make one that didn’t break before the final product. I don’t have a pic, but that work of art belongs in a museum.
This pic is some “bird points” I knapped. Bird points were typically used as gifts among tribes, not really used for hunting as legend has it.
There is a dime in the lower left corner for reference. I tried to imitate the styles from Clovis to much later. Some are close, some not so close.

View attachment 410019
That’s beautiful work and I appreciate the information provided. I have been looking at different information on the web, but would love to get some advice from someone who is knowledgeable in this field, and can tell me which ones I have that are authentic or recent reproductions.

Latest posts

Top Bottom