1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Article stating ATF may be re-thinking the classification of the Sig Brace

Discussion in 'NFA & Class III Discussion' started by CAR-AR-M16, Nov 23, 2014.

1. CAR-AR-M16

CAR-AR-M16 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Check out ATF's wording in this December 15th letter. Specifically the part on page 2 that says: "Based on our evaluation, FTISB finds that the submitted forearm brace, when attached to a pistol is a “firearm” subject to the GCA provisions; however, it is not a “firearm” as defined by the NFA provided that the Blade AR Pistol Stabilizer is used as originally designed and NOT as a shoulder stock."

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

2. Glocktogo

Glocktogo Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    There is precedent for ATF arbitrarily changing it's mind and disallowing something they previously allowed. :rolleyes2

3. CAR-AR-M16

CAR-AR-M16 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    That is true.

4. Super Dave

Super Dave Sharpshooter

Looks like they found a way to cover the base that they missed the first time.

Surely they didn't see the popularity of the Sig brace coming after the letter came out stating that you could shoulder it.

So if one can still shoulder the Sig brace legally, how is it that another product that is to be manufactured to do MOSTLY the same thing (no point about it being made for handicapped folks) can not? AND I QUOTE "...however, using the brace improperly does not constitute a design change. Using such an accessory would not change the classification of the weapon per Federal law."

The letter does state that Martin's design is made of plastic. Hmmm.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  5. Super Dave

Super Dave Sharpshooter

So who do you think ranks higher, Michael or Earl? And where is Earl that Michael has to step in as the "acting chief?"

[Broken External Image]

6. CAR-AR-M16

CAR-AR-M16 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    No clue on either question.

With everyone and their brother jumping on the Sig Brace bandwagon and posting pics/videos ad nausem of them using them as a stock, it just seems like the winds seem to be changing in regards to ATF's opinion on these things.

7. Super Dave

Super Dave Sharpshooter

I am afraid that is right. Just for the sake of knowing stuff, I called SIG just now. I asked them what they thought about this latest letter, and if they knew anything that was going on, or coming. The rep said they were not commenting on it at this time. I asked if they would be putting anything up on their website when they did, and he said they would. Jeepers creepers.

8. CAR-AR-M16

CAR-AR-M16 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
  9. rocketman

rocketman Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Wells that's the end of the brace craze. This would apply to cane tips too. It seems their conclusion hinges on the definition of "redesign". I've used a hammer to do things other than hammer nails. According to them I redesigned the hammer.

10. Jwryan84

Jwryan84 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Lmao, get your $200 ready. Can't say I didn't see this coming.