Automatic gate openers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the process of building nice gated entrance to my property. Gate will be built and hung soon. 18' wide single gate about 400' from my house.

I've been shopping/researching gate openers. So far I've learned to avoid the mule from Tractor Supply, Ghost Control gets good reviews and is affordable, and a few higher end openers like Liftmaster & Apollo cost $800-1000 more. Are the high end products worth it? Are there others I should consider?

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have Liftmaster. Initially it appeared expensive but it is worth it. Ours is solar and as a nice gift from the government we were able to claim it on our taxes and got a $2700 tax credit. Not sure how that works as our accountant took care of it.
That's interesting about the tax credit. I'll have to check into that. The Liftmaster model I saw online and will do the job is $1590.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ours was just over 3k as it is a 2 panel gate and new control box with 4 openers and they beefed up the gate mounts to the steel in the brick columns and put new barrel hinges on. We got first credit 10 years ago and never had an issue with the tax folks. Had to have one control arm replaced last summer but I went ahead and had the entire system replaced on the chance we could turn in the cost for another credit. The IRS said OK so we did it again. The government seems to be completely focused on everything solar???

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Swing gate or linear tracking? I have worked on hundreds of them from airports to rural swing gates to railroad gates that lifted up hydraulically to unlock then swing open. Are you installing exit loops to keep from having to push a button or use a remote to exit? Are you installing a keypad on a stanchion or just using a garage remote? Will you be controlling it via cell phone or a button in your house? Any cameras? Constant recording or just when it is operating? Lots of options and things to think about. How many pounds does your gate weigh?

https://www.doorking.com/gate-operators/6500-swing-gate-operator
Commercial grade 115 volt great opener without a lot of trouble.

Last edited:

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Swing gate or linear tracking? I have worked on hundreds of them from airports to rural swing gates to railroad gates that lifted up hydraulically to unlock then swing open. Are you installing exit loops to keep from having to push a button or use a remote to exit? Are you installing a keypad on a stanchion or just using a garage remote? Will you be controlling it via cell phone or a button in your house? Any cameras? Constant recording or just when it is operating? Lots of options and things to think about. How many pounds does your gate weigh?

https://www.doorking.com/gate-operators/6500-swing-gate-operator
Commercial grade 115 volt great opener without a lot of trouble.
That is a lot to consider. I was thinking that a remote like a garage door opener would work. However, the camera and other options would be nice. It needs to be solar. Quiet is will be preferred by the neighbor that lives by my entrance. We live on a rural road without many neighbors. Most neighbors within a mile are great folks, but there have been some thieves around. A friend told me that a thief cut the arms off of their gate opener.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@Cowcatcher had a thread about his gate opener awhile back. It was a fairly newer model, but it was always giving him some trouble. You might want to talk to him. He might be ready to trade.

I thought that he spoke of his gate opener being his wife or one of his daughters.

Your comment makes me curious.

:blush:

Latest posts

Top Bottom