Automatic gate openers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is a lot to consider. I was thinking that a remote like a garage door opener would work. However, the camera and other options would be nice. It needs to be solar. Quiet is will be preferred by the neighbor that lives by my entrance. We live on a rural road without many neighbors. Most neighbors within a mile are great folks, but there have been some thieves around. A friend told me that a thief cut the arms off of their gate opener.
Just thinking out loud here. Are there any trail cameras that have a two way communication that you would be able to activate a relay from the camera? Do any trail cameras have a relay?

I have seen hog captures by triggering a gate to close while watching a trail camera but I don't know if the closing relay was on the gate or the camera.

commercial gates have to have bump stops for pedestrians and to stop damage if the gate closes on a vehicle or trailer.

I have configured a bunch of them. Some have safety loops under the gate so if there is a vehicle present, it won't close. Some even have IR beams for safety.

IF you do go with loops and loop detectors, please remember to twist the leads back to the loop detector before burial to null the signal from the loop to the detector. Some have magnetic vehicle sensors you bury close to the driveway if you don't want to hassle with loops.

https://allsecurityequipment.com/pr...vtfVBXim_RDHIxVns_GvybvWiPbJQtyBoCZDMQAvD_BwE
At the airports, I had to configure gates to open only about 3 feet upon card read for pedestrians unless there was a vehicle present then it would open completely. Just some of the stuff I used to do. It was kinda of fun having to configure stuff like that.

Last edited:

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just thinking out loud here. Are there any trail cameras that have a two way communication that you would be able to activate a relay from the camera? Do any trail cameras have a relay?

I have seen hog captures by triggering a gate to close while watching a trail camera but I don't know if the closing relay was on the gate or the camera.

commercial gates have to have bump stops for pedestrians and to stop damage if the gate closes on a vehicle or trailer.

I have configured a bunch of them. Some have safety loops under the gate so if there is a vehicle present, it won't close. Some even have IR beams for safety.

IF you do go with loops and loop detectors, please remember to twist the leads back to the loop detector before burial to null the signal from the loop to the detector. Some have magnetic vehicle sensors you bury close to the driveway if you don't want to hassle with loops.

https://allsecurityequipment.com/pr...vtfVBXim_RDHIxVns_GvybvWiPbJQtyBoCZDMQAvD_BwE
At the airports, I had to configure gates to open only about 3 feet upon card read for pedestrians unless there was a vehicle present then it would open completely. Just some of the stuff I used to do. It was kinda of fun having to configure stuff like that.

You wanna have some more fun rigging my gates?

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
You wanna have some more fun rigging my gates?
Medical issues are keeping me from doing much of anything right now but if you have any questions, I can help. I'm not trying to weasel out, @Gadsden can vouch for these issues. Believe me, I would love to assist if I could.

Please don't hesitate to ask here or in a PM.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Medical issues are keeping me from doing much of anything right now but if you have any questions, I can help. I'm not trying to weasel out, @Gadsden can vouch for these issues. Believe me, I would love to assist if I could.

Please don't hesitate to ask here or in a PM.
I absolutely vouch for Snattlerake. I have been aware of his condition, and had him in my prayers, for several weeks now. I also have no doubt he would be willing to help if it was possible for him to do so.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I absolutely will vouch for Snattlerake. I have been aware of his condition, and had him in my prayers, for several weeks now. I also have no doubt he would be willing to help if it was possible for him to do so.
No doubt in my mind either....he's as good as they come in my book.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Swing gate or linear tracking? I have worked on hundreds of them from airports to rural swing gates to railroad gates that lifted up hydraulically to unlock then swing open. Are you installing exit loops to keep from having to push a button or use a remote to exit? Are you installing a keypad on a stanchion or just using a garage remote? Will you be controlling it via cell phone or a button in your house? Any cameras? Constant recording or just when it is operating? Lots of options and things to think about. How many pounds does your gate weigh?

https://www.doorking.com/gate-operators/6500-swing-gate-operator
Commercial grade 115 volt great opener without a lot of trouble.
Thus will be a swing gate and not as fancy as those in the pictures for the nice unit you posted the link for. It'll be pipe and 4x4 livestock panel. Heavy duty bearing hinges. Solar is a must.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thus will be a swing gate and not as fancy as those in the pictures for the nice unit you posted the link for. It'll be pipe and 4x4 livestock panel. Heavy duty bearing hinges. Solar is a must.

My biggest issue is I have to open inward, and that causes the gate to fight the hard south prevailing winds. I have had it bend the cheap thin tube gates at Tractor Supply.

Latest posts

Top Bottom