Automatic gate openers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Mule that is on a lightweight tube gate now for 11 years. Have heard all the stories, but the one I got seems to plug away. The home I am remodeling now for our last home is having a hand built installed and a better opener from Liftmaster. I was told by several gate installers to stay away from 110 and go solar only. Power surges, lightning strikes and such kills the electronics. Solar not!

But that old Mule from Tractor Supply keeps on chugging along. I think the key to a good gate is get ball bearing grease able hinges. And keep the weight down on the gate.

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had an old Mighty Mule and was always having to adjust the limit switches, it finally gave up the ghost and found an E 8 with good reviews on Amazon so I gave it a try. Amazon.com

This thing has been more than awesome, no swiches to adjust, it detects the stops electronically, been at least 5-6 years since I put it in and just last year was the 1st time I had to change the gate battery. Found a pic, put it in April 1st 2017. Gate is 14 Ft and about 150-200 lbs.
Gate.jpg

Last edited:

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had an old Mighty Mule and was always having to adjust the limit switches, it finally gave up the ghost and found an E 8 with good reviews on Amazon so I gave it a try. Amazon.com

This thing has been more than awesome, no swiches to adjust, it detects the stops electronically, been at least 5-6 years since I put it in and just last year was the 1st time I had to change the gate battery. Found a pic, put it in April 1st 2017. Gate is 14 Ft and about 150-200 lbs.
View attachment 410079

Is that a screw operated one? As it screws itself in and out?

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting. I never thought of doing something like that. Mind posting a picture of your setup?
2 heavy L pieces of angle iron set in concrete to support the opener set just wide enough to nest it. Box on top to just protect from the rain. Ripped piece of plastic pipe to protect the chain from the
IMG_4414.jpeg
IMG_4415.jpeg
IMG_4416.jpeg
elements.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom