Azealia Banks says she hates America

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
'cept Iggy is an Aussie so we can actually deport her if we wanted to :)

Banks kinda sorta has a point but is terrible at articulating it. Kendrick Lamar can make his argument far more convincingly. Institutional racism is a thing, from slavery to Jim Crow to Redlining to Profiling. We're almost 200 years Antebellum and the effects on blacks are still pronounced to some degree. There's no denying it, though we can't all agree on why it's perpetuated and how to remediate it.

Key words in your summary are "kinda, sorta" and "to some degree" - history does not just disappear but when historical reasons for current behavior become a permanent crutch then you have strained credibility. And that isn't just a discussion of how mitigate effects - it is a basic disagreement on the objective significance of the issue.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
She was raised in NYCs Harlem so what does she know about living in the midwest anyways. What she says means about as much to me as when I hear so much hate in the midwest for NYC or Calfornia. Goes both ways...
glad we aren't in the Midwest so we don't count. I don't hear much love for New York or California anywhere around here.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Key words in your summary are "kinda, sorta" and "to some degree" - history does not just disappear but when historical reasons for current behavior become a permanent crutch then you have strained credibility. And that isn't just a discussion of how mitigate effects - it is a basic disagreement on the objective significance of the issue.

Right. There's still racial bias out there. It's how to move forward that's in debate. And like you said, the question of even acknowledging it (objective significance) is part of the debate.

Her comments are personifying the institutional racism into a midwestern Farmer. That's a poor approach to distill the system down to people who didn't necessarily ask to be bred into their segment of society any more than the "at-risk" or minorities did. Sure white people - for better or worse - are also institutionalized to have advantage in society, but it's just as unfair to ask them (us?) to feel guilt or overtly apologize for it as it is for whites to ask blacks to just boot-strap their way out of racism.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
'cept Iggy is an Aussie so we can actually deport her if we wanted to :)

Banks kinda sorta has a point but is terrible at articulating it. Kendrick Lamar can make his argument far more convincingly. Institutional racism is a thing, from slavery to Jim Crow to Redlining to Profiling. We're almost 200 years Antebellum and the effects on blacks are still pronounced to some degree. There's no denying it, though we can't all agree on why it's perpetuated and how to remediate it.

As long as we maintain the welfare state, we will continue to have folks who don't understand the producing part of the US. All the minorities that I personally know, be it red, yellow, black or somewhere in between who actually belong to the producing part of society get it. They are regular Americans like most of us. I grew up in a segregated America, my highschool was integrated after I gruduated. My first exposure to black folks was during military service and we were all Green, some light green and some dark green, but that was a good environment for dispelling most of the belief system I had grown up with. Doing away with that welfare nanny institution is almost impossible today, I don't see anything but more strident division in the future.

Latest posts

Top Bottom