B-17 Pilot John Muirhead the Author

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotahp1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been laid up here with the back and have had time to read a few books. This one is called "those who fall". VERY good WW2 bomber pilot memories wrote down. Anyone know anything about the author? How about any other WW1 or WW2 book recomendations? While I was at Oshkosh I got to meet one of my heros, Bob Hoover. If you havent read his book "Forever Flying" You should. Only thing I notice after readying these books is they make me feel like I have not done enough in my 30 years. All these guys did most of what they write about by age 25. Oh well a different time. I like to think if I was there at there time I would have tried to do what they did so well.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you like books about WW2 bombers, you might check out Thomas Childers' "Wings of Morning" about the last American bomber shot down over Germany in WW2. Excellent narrative about the bomber crew selection and training procedures, squadron assignments, and the members of the featured crew.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My uncle was a Lt. Colonel in the Army Air Corp.He flew B-17's in the pacific.I have a pic of his flight school graduation,his leather jacket,and memories of stories he told me.He had over 5000 hours flight time.

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know what you mean about not feeling like I've done enough. My uncle, Glen C. Moore (now deceased), flew a P-47 Thunderbolt in WW2 through Italy, France and Germany. He wrote a book entitled Don't Worry Mom and Dad, I'm Okay. and after reading it I felt like my life has been almost trivial.

His book is very limited numbers. I actually doubt it was ever published in any significant numbers. I have a photocopy and then the Nowata and Pryor libraries have copies. I don't know if there are any more that are available.

I can't verify it, but in his obituary it said he was an "Ace". I believe that indicates at least 5 confirmed kills. I know this sounds rediculous, but I understand he flew over 100 combat missions. The Army kept raising the mission count to go home and finally there was no mission count to go home and every pilot had to stay until it was over, if you lived that long.

That combat mission number I recall is awfully high, so maybe I need to check my info, but I think that is correct.

How's that for saying something and then saying I may not have it all correct?:thumbup3:

Here's what I do know:
He flew a P-47 Thunderbolt in Europe during WW2.
He had some confirmed kills.
He flew an awesome number of combat missions.
and he wrote a book entitled "Don't Worry Mom and Dad, I'm Okay"

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All of the WWII pilots and crew just amazed me. Bob Hoover I do remember reading of him. Not too many books I have read on the air wars, but the B17s over Europe were something else that I have heard a lot more of. Good friend's father was a belly gunner. I don't know how he did it. I went up in the EAA's B17 sometime in the late 90's just to try and envision his getting into that turret for that long flight and survive the 25 missions. Personally, over the years I have read more of the ground units and personnel than the air wars' pilots. I have said so before on here but from Lone Wolf was a gentleman named Pat Dugan who flew fighters in the South Pacific. Well, let me say when he died suddenly in the fifties from a fighter jet flight accident over Colorado (he was Air Force Reserve then, after Korea), I never had seen such a funeral procession in my life. I know too much information. Colonel Dugan actually flew wing man for a very famous pilot in the South Pacific in WWII.
Another note, long book, and little know but Stillwell and the China Experience if I remember correctly. Vinegar Joe Stillwell was in his sixties, a general in the USArmy when the war broke, commanded all the ground forces in China and SE Asia during WWII. Great read. Be glad to loan it to you.

Last edited:

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My uncle was a Lt. Colonel in the Army Air Corp.He flew B-17's in the pacific.I have a pic of his flight school graduation,his leather jacket,and memories of stories he told me.He had over 5000 hours flight time.

Curious, where was his training at? There were so very many training fields in the southwest due to the great weather then, some were basic, some were fighter and some were bomber. Charles Lindbergh, although he was against the war reentered the Army Air Corps when the war broke. I could be incorrect, but he trained fighter pilots in Texas, I believe. When a new engine, per the little data I had was introduced he went to the South Pacific when the engines and or fighters were introduced there and he went with them to instruct the pilots. Well that leads me back to the earlier post of the gentleman from Lone Wolf, Pat Dugan. Pat was quite experienced when Col. Lindbergh arrive in the South Pacific and knew his reputation. So, Col. Lindbergh picked Pat to be his wing man because Col. Lindbergh actually flew combat missions in the South Pacific. while working with the pilots on the new engine/fighter. I realize this is not a lot of people care of but I find all of the history wonderful. Last note. I did not know of Col. Dugan's experience until ten years after his death. I was at his sister's house and saw the photo on the wall of he and Col. Lindbergh next to their fighters and she told me the story.
Thanks for giving me the time to relive some old memories of Lone Wolf.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might enjoy Jimmy Stewart: Bomber Pilot. It's an account of the famous actor's military career.

Also, there's a lot of neat stuff at Zeno's Warbirds. Some is available online for free.

You are right on there. Jimmy Stewart flew the B17 in Europe and remained in the Army Air Corps and then US Air Force Reserve and flew B52's if I am not mistaken, retired a General from the Air Force, don't remember how high up, but thank you for remembering.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been laid up here with the back and have had time to read a few books. This one is called "those who fall". VERY good WW2 bomber pilot memories wrote down. Anyone know anything about the author? How about any other WW1 or WW2 book recomendations? While I was at Oshkosh I got to meet one of my heros, Bob Hoover. If you havent read his book "Forever Flying" You should. Only thing I notice after readying these books is they make me feel like I have not done enough in my 30 years. All these guys did most of what they write about by age 25. Oh well a different time. I like to think if I was there at there time I would have tried to do what they did so well.

Just remembered or think I did. Wasn't Bob Hoover the fellow who would fly the Aero Commander at air shows and do stunts that people thought couldn't be done with an Aero?

Latest posts

Top Bottom