Bayou bullets.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
20170427_131345.jpg
I loaded some for the first time today. 165gr over 7.0gr of CFE Pistol in a 40 cal Glock. Seem good. Shot a 10 shot group just to see. I only shot at 10yards today because of the terrible Oklahoma wind. Not bad. Not great. Good enough for plinking.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ain't nothing wrong with that group ... 'specially for plinkin' or critter gettin'. Swampratt and I 'experimented' with them a little bit this afternoon. This was the 200 grain .45ACP RNFP from Bayou Bullets, which uses the Hi-Tek Supercoat. They didn't pass the "Smash Test." This is Hi-Tek's recommended test, mind you. One solid whack with a hammer and the coating was flaking off. I mentioned in another thread that the coating seemed to be very thin when I received these bullets. Apparently, it is. Hi-Tek says this is caused by too high temperature, curing/baking time too long, or coating applied too thinly. Bayou bullet on the right.

20170427_184905.jpg

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've shot thousands and having experience in aerospace coating testing I seriously doubt any of them will pass that smack 'em with a hammer "test" regardless of what Hi-Tech says. I don't know. I shoot them. I don't whack 'em with a hammer. I do know that they shoot good, smoke very little and don't lead my barrel.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've shot thousands and having experience in aerospace coating testing I seriously doubt any of them will pass that smack 'em with a hammer "test" regardless of what Hi-Tech says. I don't know. I shoot them. I don't whack 'em with a hammer. I do know that they shoot good, smoke very little and don't lead my barrel.

The bullet on the left in that pic was powder coated by swampratt, and was given the same "Smash Test." The powder coating is virtually untouched.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The bullet on the left in that pic was powder coated by swampratt, and was given the same "Smash Test." The powder coating is virtually untouched.

Hmm. Will he do about 5000 for me? I think I could supply the bullets unsized and unlubed. And could he size them to .356 after coating? That should last me through the summer, then I'll need more.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hmm. Will he do about 5000 for me? I think I could supply the bullets unsized and unlubed. And could he size them to .356 after coating? That should last me through the summer, then I'll need more.

LOL! That's between you and swampratt! He's easy-going, but I don't imagine he's that easy!

It really is an unbelievably simple process. I went by Harbor Freight after I left his place and bought some of the red powder coating ($6.39+tax=$6.93) for a pound of it, which will coat a LOT of bullets! Now, I'm in the market for a good used toaster oven! I am NOT condemning the Bayou Bullets or the Hi-Tek coating. Quite the contrary, I want to talk to Bayou Bullets and see what they say, and I may still buy some of the Hi-Tek powder to try it myself at home. I honestly think the bullets I received might have slipped through their QC process with too thin a coating.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
See, I hate reloading. I do it all the time but I do not in any way enjoy it. There is no way Im going to go through all the mess of making my own bullets. I still have my old powdercoating equipment and everything but there is just no way. I do wish I was around for some of yalls experiments though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom