Best brand for Cordless Drill (Replacing old Sears)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Batteries can be rebuilt. Most of the Lithium ones use 18650 cells just replace the cells with like ones and solder together. The main issue is opening the battery pack up. But if you can get that done you can usually make a better battery anyway using a higher quality cell. Did it with a 12V battery 15 years or so ago, and oddly enough it was only a 10v battery pack so I added the cells to bump it up to a true 12V pack.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wont use their drill bits or driver bits for anything other than light duty though
I can attest. I just tried to use a brand spanking new 5/16" HSS TIN gold coated drill bit to drill out a screw that would not let go. The key word there is "tried".

Even using TapMagic cutting fluid it wouldn't cut a thing and basically rounded off the cutting edges. Slow speed, high speed, didn't matter. Complete garbage for anything past wood or drywall. I grabbed a proper drill bit out of my machinist's set that has been abused biggly on multiple occasions and it went right through it.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had good success with Milwaukee and Wiah bits. Nothing has stood up like my 25 year old snap-on bits that came with my ratcheting screw driver. Those things still look new after years of use.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had a Hitachi cordless drill for a couple of years now, and it's still basically like new. I'm not really a "power user" of it...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Speaking of bits here is something interesting.

I promised my self many years ago that I would never use another phillips head screw. Sometimes I'm forced to because of supply, but the torx is overall superior. The next to the last privacy fence I put up at a friends house, we went through screw after screw that stripped out. some of it operator fault because not enough pressure and I swear some of those phillips head screws did not get hardened. It's not all perfect conditions like the tester in the video.
The next fence I helped install was 200' long. I used the torx bit that was in the box with the screws, and did the entire job with zero strip outs, and the tool will be used on the next job.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve had to slightly modify the lithium adapter on dewalt saws all’s for some reason. There is a little corner that had to be shaved off to make it fit. I can’t remember the specifics because it’s been a few years but it was an issue on two saws. Once I did that it worked fine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom