Big bore rifle choice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Define your desires first. If you dream of hunting dangerous game in Africa someday, do NOT discount that dream. You may make it happen, regardless of what you feel right now. That said, .375 is minimum legal caliber for dangerous game in most of Africa, so plan accordingly. If you have no intention of ever hunting dangerous African game, but maybe plains game, I personally can't think of a much better choice than the .338 Win Mag. It will handle any plains game there is on this globe, and makes for a dandy rifle for anything in the Americas, including the biggest bears. :twocents:

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to have a 1938 M-70 .375 H&H mag. I sold it for a nice profit. Great round. For hunting in the U.S. my .338 Edge(.338/.300RUM case) is great, just a little heavy...ok in this case.

Nothing wrong with .338 Win. Mag. You probably want a .375 for Africa though.

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are planning an African hunt to kill buffalo then by all means, the bigger the better, but for Alaska you don't "need" anything bigger than a 270. I would opt for a .300 mag myself but my father in law spent years up there hunting everything from sheep to moose to big brown bear with a .270
and no problems.
As far as a 460 lever, I haven't heard of one, but there is a .500 lever gun made by Big Horn Armory out of Cody Wyoming. I do believe there is a LONG waiting list there.
http://www.bighornarmory.com/home.php

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd go for the .375. My buddy out on the farm has a R700 Safari Grade in .375. That sucker will completely destroy an 80lb bag of concrete that got left out in the rain in one shot.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This:

"The .375 Remington Ultra Magnum, also known as the .375 RUM is a .375 rifle cartridge introduced by Remington Arms in 2002. It is a beltless, rebated rim cartridge created by necking up the .300 Remington Ultra Magnum case to .375 caliber with no other changes. The .375 Remington Ultra Magnum is second only to the .378 Weatherby Magnum in cartridge-case capacity. Factory loadings are strong, but relatively sedate when one considers the true potential of the cartridge. Remington factory loads push a 300 grain (19 g) bullet at 2760 ft/s (840 m/s), producing 5070 ft·lbf (6.88 kJ) of energy. A handloader can increase the muzzle velocity of this bullet to a maximum of 2950 ft/s (900 m/s,) developing 5800 ft·lbf (7.9 kJ)

The primary use of this cartridge should be hunting large, thick-skinned game. It is powerful enough to kill any land animal and, with its high velocity, can do so at fairly long ranges. One should note that such performance comes at the price of a heavy recoil: in a sporting-weight rifle of ~8 lb (3.6 kg), this cartridge can produce a fierce 80 ft·lbf (108 J) of recoil (approximately 3.5 times that of a .30-06.) This is well beyond the limits of most shooters.

There is a good selection of .375 in (9.53 mm) bullets available that are suited to the high velocities of the .375 RUM, and boat tail bullets help to further extend the useful range.

Handloaders should note that this cartridge already operates at very high pressures (65,000 PSI), significantly higher than standard rifle cartridges and higher even than most "magnums." This cartridge should not be "hot rodded," as many handloaders have done over the years with more conventional, lower pressure rounds.

Currently, only Remington and Savage furnish production rifles in this chambering. Remington and Nosler are the only source of factory ammunition. Loading dies and reloading data are readily available to the handloader."

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thinking about getting a big bore rifle for some future Alaskan and/or African hunting. I'm thinking something in the .338 range as a minimum. I'm currently leaning towards the venerable .375 H&H. Anyone have any specific recommendations especially ones with some reasoning behind it? Thanks.

Since you are coveing two different continents I would suggest the .375 H&H or something similiar. The Alaskan are vs the Africa continent are going to afford differnt sittuations. Alsk, I would say 45-70 ajd Africa I say 375 H&H min. Just me though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom