Bird dogs in/around Tulsa?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Welp, looks like I might be hanging around OK for another 5-6 years to get another degree. Time to get a dog!

I'm looking for an all-around gun dog that I can take after quail and dove and maybe duck sometimes. My first choice is a Springer but the only Springer breeder I can find in Tulsa is someone who breeds "designer puppies" so something tells me they won't be from hunting stock. There's a guy a little south of Dallas with field-line springers, and I'm fine with driving that far if I have to, but I'd rather not if someone's closer.

I saw a few ads for German Shorthairs in the Tulsa World but I have no idea if the breeders are competent and I'm not sure about that breed's temperament.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw a few ads for German Shorthairs in the Tulsa World but I have no idea if the breeders are competent and I'm not sure about that breed's temperament.

You can't go wrong with a German Shorthair. They're a multipurpose breed. Fur and feather and they love water. They make great retrievers. Best bird dogs I ever owned. Intelligent and easily trained. Highly affectionate. Well mannered loving pets in the off season. They're beautiful on point.

awww.dogs_info.net_uploads_allimg_101225_1154461W2_0.png

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with a German Shorthair. They're a multipurpose breed. Fur and feather and they love water. They make great retrievers. Best bird dogs I ever owned. Intelligent and easily trained. Highly affectionate. Well mannered loving pets in the off season. They're beautiful on point.

awww.dogs_info.net_uploads_allimg_101225_1154461W2_0.png

Hmmm. I thought I'd heard that some GSPs had separation anxiety issues but it turns out I was thinking of Weimaraners.

I'd probably have better luck training a pointing dog too since my uncle and grandfather used to run pointers in field trials (very successfully) so I could tap them for help with training.

Is there anyone you know in Oklahoma who breeds good GSPs?

FlyGuyGSP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Welp, looks like I might be hanging around OK for another 5-6 years to get another degree. Time to get a dog!

I'm looking for an all-around gun dog that I can take after quail and dove and maybe duck sometimes. My first choice is a Springer but the only Springer breeder I can find in Tulsa is someone who breeds "designer puppies" so something tells me they won't be from hunting stock. There's a guy a little south of Dallas with field-line springers, and I'm fine with driving that far if I have to, but I'd rather not if someone's closer.

I would highly recommend looking around over here:
http://gundogforum.com/

I know there is at least one tulsa shorthair breeder that posts over there and many can help you with any questions you have pertaining to hunting dogs in general. The majority of the posters are breeder/trainers.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pointers are great dogs for upland hunting.
They are hunting dogs only and don't redily adapt to a pet type of dog. I"m sure somebody has one that will dispute this, but the breed does not normally go this direction.
Having hunting dogs for many years. (1976- to date), I've owned beagles(great breeds for a trail hound on rabbits or pheasant) and Britts.
Most dogs are speciality dogs, like trail hounds, etc.
The britts are an all around dog that will be your best friend in short order.
They mind, like to be around people, and can be trained to hunt anything on the planet.
They used to be known as a poachers dog for this reason.
Trust me, you can't go wrong with a britt, and they will be your friend and your kids friend. I don't think they have a mean bone in their body.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_P1010018_2.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_PC240250.jpg

[Broken External Image]

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_DSC00916.jpg

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pointers are great dogs for upland hunting.
They are hunting dogs only and don't redily adapt to a pet type of dog. I"m sure somebody has one that will dispute this, but the breed does not normally go this direction.

My mother's father had about 4 pointing dogs when I was little (2 English Setters, one Gordon Setter, and an English Pointer) and they were alright pets. I remember them being cranky, but that's because 3 of them were about 15 years old.

My other grandfather was a big fan of CBRs and they're pretty famous for being cranky but even his dogs were alright.

Having hunting dogs for many years. (1976- to date), I've owned beagles(great breeds for a trail hound on rabbits or pheasant) and Britts.
Most dogs are speciality dogs, like trail hounds, etc.
The britts are an all around dog that will be your best friend in short order.
They mind, like to be around people, and can be trained to hunt anything on the planet.
They used to be known as a poachers dog for this reason.
Trust me, you can't go wrong with a britt, and they will be your friend and your kids friend. I don't think they have a mean bone in their body.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_P1010018_2.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_PC240250.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_DSC00922.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_DSC00916.jpg

Your dog is awesome.

Honestly I want a Springer mostly because I had one from age 6 to 18 or so. Spaniels have great personalities. She was smart too; she figured out how to disable the Invisible Fence by digging up the wire and chewing through it. Your Brittanies sound a lot like my Springer.

FlyGuyGSP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree that the majority of pointers are not family dogs but I think you would find that german shorthairs are a definite exception. That's not just my opinion from being around one individual dog but more of an observation of the breed. It's hard to go wrong with a brittany too, great dogs.

j-dubb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad and grandpa have about 5 bird dogs. Long hair and short hair pointers. My dad has won a couple field trial championships with one of his dogs.(Female) He has been offered alot of money for that dog and hasnt and wont ever sell the dog. He may know of some good dogs or pups for sale if your interested.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad and grandpa have about 5 bird dogs. Long hair and short hair pointers. My dad has won a couple field trial championships with one of his dogs.(Female) He has been offered alot of money for that dog and hasnt and wont ever sell the dog. He may know of some good dogs or pups for sale if your interested.

I still need to confirm that I'm 100%-for-sure doing a PhD and then wait for my lease to run out and find a place where I can have a dog so I won't be buying for a little while yet. Thanks for the offer though. I might shoot you a PM when the time comes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom