Bird dogs in/around Tulsa?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Trust me, you can't go wrong with a britt, and they will be your friend and your kids friend. I don't think they have a mean bone in their body.

Britts are about as sweet as a dog can be and still be a working/hunting dog. Those birds, your hunting partner and that A5 bring back some beautiful memories dennishoddy. I had the two German Shorthairs and my buddy had his Britt on many a day in the field. Thanks for posting them.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_DSC00916.jpg

That looks like one worn out bird dog to me. ;)

How could anyone not love that dog?

romeo212000

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I own and breed a string of German Shorthairs. I also do some field trialing as well. Matter of fact my Pepper female placed just yesterday. I am taking somewhat of a brief break from a lot of trialing while I get a couple of young ones ready to go again.

I specialize mostly in breeding black and white german shorthairs but do have liver and white dogs in every litter. However, my dogs are bred specifically to hunt upland birds. You could train them to sit in a duck blind and take lines and that sort of thing, but that is not really the lines and qualities that I breed for. In my experience the pups will however make good pets as long as they get plenty of attention and exercise. I was not planning on breeding again till next spring but I have had some interest so if I got a couple of deposits I might consider breeding early.You can check my website out www.ridgerunkennels.com.

A word of advice though. If you are really wanting to get out and hunt wild birds such as in north west Oklahoma, especially quail, a springer will not cover nearly enough ground. Despite what people say there are still a decent amount of birds in Oklahoma, but you have to be willing to hook it up to find em'. If your going to mostly be doing preserve hunting you might be okay with a springer. If someone wants a duck/flushing dog that's no problem. But if you want a true quail dog you need something that has tons of drive. Not a runaway or hyper dog. Just one that is bred and built to go hunt for the birds so you don't have to as much. That is what mine are bred for. Check out my site and feel free to pm me or call me with any questions. My contact info is on the website.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A word of advice though. If you are really wanting to get out and hunt wild birds such as in north west Oklahoma, especially quail, a springer will not cover nearly enough ground. Despite what people say there are still a decent amount of birds in Oklahoma, but you have to be willing to hook it up to find em'. If your going to mostly be doing preserve hunting you might be okay with a springer. If someone wants a duck/flushing dog that's no problem. But if you want a true quail dog you need something that has tons of drive. Not a runaway or hyper dog. Just one that is bred and built to go hunt for the birds so you don't have to as much. That is what mine are bred for. Check out my site and feel free to pm me or call me with any questions. My contact info is on the website.

Thanks for this input.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
poopgiggle, I may be able to hunt down somebody in the Springer community in this area. I have a few contacts out Indiana/Ohio way, but let me see what I can come up with for you. I, too, grew up with Springers all my life. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a better hunting dog and family pet.

My mom is training a Springer right now. Cute little bugger.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
poopgiggle, I may be able to hunt down somebody in the Springer community in this area. I have a few contacts out Indiana/Ohio way, but let me see what I can come up with for you. I, too, grew up with Springers all my life. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a better hunting dog and family pet.

My mom is training a Springer right now. Cute little bugger.

I really do love Springers but I also really love shooting birds. If romeo's right, and a flushing dog won't let me cover enough ground to find Quail on public land, then I might look into a pointing dog.

I didn't grow up around here so I don't really know what game I'll be able to find where yet. I made this thread partly to get opinions from locals on what would be a good bird dog for my area.

OK Quail Hunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check out the Tulsa Bird Dog Club, there are some good guys in there and a few of them have some pretty good GSPs, and most of the guys that are members are more than willing to help out with any questions. I got involved with them when I first moved to Tulsa about 8 years ago and they really helped when I had any questions, plus they have a large trial/training field just past Inola that is free to use for members.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got involved with them when I first moved to Tulsa about 8 years ago and they really helped when I had any questions, plus they have a large trial/training field just past Inola that is free to use for members.

Thanks for this information. I was worried about having a place to train on live birds, and driving 1/2 an hour to Inola beats driving an hour to Ft Gibson. Also I wouldn't have to worry about my dog getting shot by some idiot like I would on public land.

Red Earth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have bred, trained and campaigned pointing dogs for 20 years.

I am partial to the DK/GSP but any of the versatile breeds are the way to go if you are an all around sportsman.

Our personal dogs are trained for, First and foremost... Upland birds and waterfowl.

We use them for blood tracking wounded deer as well. They go alone, once the deer is found they return to us and take us to the spot!

We have sent one of them to find something that... "Doesn't belong"... I lost my transmitter in an 80 acre pasture.... he found it in 15 minutes!

We also have some that are narcotics and cadaver detectors...one has a specialty in submerged cadaver detection!

I would beware of Versatile dogs that are bred for specificity...It's a well known fact...Trying to build on one trait alone, always dilutes the broad spectrum!

If a DK (Deutsch Kurzhaar, the original GSP) or DD (Deutsch Drathar, the original GWP) perks your interest, feel free to contact me and I will direct you to several reputable breeders.

PJ

Latest posts

Top Bottom