Bobcat hunting question?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I called a bobcat in on an electronic call, shot and missed.

I know coyotes can be educated real quick and become call shy.
Anyone have any luck calling in cats a second time or do they become smart also?

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can recall them. I would go back and hit that spot as soon as you can.Try using a different sound also.If you don't call him back in keep after it.They might be 4 miles away the day you go back but eventually you should connect.So what happened on the miss? Was it very close?

Scott

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So what happened on the miss? Was it very close?

Scott

The cat on my wall was called in during a snow storm. Shot with the .17HMR. First shot was a miss????? the cat sat up on its haunches, and the second was in the chest. It was windy that day, and I'm goin to use that for an excuse.....

twocan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have not missed many cats, cause i shoot 3.5" #4 But i have had them hang up at 100 yards out. I always come back to the spot to call but never have any luck. I have always waited a few weeks before my return. Maybe thats my prob.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A little trick I have used is tie a feather to a sting then hang on a fence or limb for some reason when they see it they are just glued to the feather moving around, I guess like a house cat with a string. Later,

Kirk

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I tied a turkey feather to a limb over a trail and put my little JS caller on the same limb. I backed down the trail about 40 yards and squatted down and started calling. Cat came in within a minute of starting the call running down the trail towards me (towards the call and feather.) He would stop and I had crosshairs on him, pressing the trigger home. Just about time I would think the gun would fire, he would start coming in closer, then stop. Same thing 2 or 3 times. Finally, he got up under the feather and when he was there, THERE WAS A STAND OF GRASS BETWEEN HE AND I and I couldn't see him. I raised up a little and could see his head facing me. I dropped the scope down where I thought a hit should be and pow, he jumped up and over the blackberry bushes. A big male cat. I was using a .17hmr and not sure if it was a hit or not, no blood, which happens a lot with this gun. I'm going to wallyworld tomorrow and get the 20 grain bullets.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One thing that might help if possible to pause your caller.I've seen lots of cats lock up when the sound stops.If they ever sit down take your shot.More often than not they will not come another inch closer at that point so make sure you have them where you want them.A lip squeak works also but make sure you are ready to shoot as they will pick you off pretty quick when you do.
Dennis you killed the cat so the miss does not count in my book.Everyone likes to give the sporting chance with the occasional warning shot.
I used to use a decoy alot but don't much anymore and to be honest haven't noticed much difference.

Scott

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry not a fan of the 17HMR! you probably hit the cat and it's dead somewhere, you could more than likely go back out there and roam around and find the cat. I shoot a 17 caliber for yotes and cats and have nothing but good to say about them they are DEADLY! BUT I shoot a 17 Remington quite a bit more horsepower than the HMR and I use the Hammett bullets in 27.5gr.

If you have a 223 that would be a better choice, I have a load that works very well on the smaller critters that won't spread them across the county and it not very loud and I've yet to see anything I hit run off, we'll not say anything about the critters I got all excited about that ran off :anyone:

If you can stop the sound or the lip squeak works 95% of the time but just be ready to shoot! like okhunter said they will spot you in a serious hurry and get quick. Later,

Kirk

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry not a fan of the 17HMR! you probably hit the cat and it's dead somewhere, you could more than likely go back out there and roam around and find the cat. I shoot a 17 caliber for yotes and cats and have nothing but good to say about them they are DEADLY! BUT I shoot a 17 Remington quite a bit more horsepower than the HMR and I use the Hammett bullets in 27.5gr.

Kirk

I agree about the .17hmr. I have a 243 that I use when I am in a position where I can use it (open areas, out in the country).

The .17hmr is a choice when I'm in heavily wooded area and the shots are going to be close. AND when I have some neighbor houses around. The sound is a lot smaller and the bullet is a lot safer. The only option for now is to go with the 20 grain bullet I think.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't forget about the shotgun.If you have a 12 gauge it is a good choice as well. Let me know how those 20 gr bullets work. Don't forget to take some pictures when you get that cat.

Scott

Latest posts

Top Bottom