Bobcat hunting question?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Normally there are 2 of us when we go, 1 with a shotgun and good ol' #4's and the other with the 17 Remington, when they hang up the 27.5gr Hammett hitting them @3900fps ends it pretty quick and if they charge in on us or pop up casue we were sleeping the shotgun does wonders out to around 40 yards. When calling in the woods and shots will be close the 17 Rem stays in the truck. I found in my 243 if I would shoot the heavy game hunting bullets it would cause much less damage to the pelts since the bullet would normally not expand, load them slow down around 2500fps.

My opinion if you have a shotgun try that out in the woods, I think you'll like it just get them in range first. Later,

Kirk

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Normally there are 2 of us when we go, 1 with a shotgun and good ol' #4's and the other with the 17 Remington, when they hang up the 27.5gr Hammett hitting them @3900fps ends it pretty quick and if they charge in on us or pop up casue we were sleeping the shotgun does wonders out to around 40 yards. When calling in the woods and shots will be close the 17 Rem stays in the truck. I found in my 243 if I would shoot the heavy game hunting bullets it would cause much less damage to the pelts since the bullet would normally not expand, load them slow down around 2500fps.

My opinion if you have a shotgun try that out in the woods, I think you'll like it just get them in range first. Later,

Kirk

I'm not a big fan of the #4s. I know they will work but think there are better choices out there.Winchester makes a good predator load with B shot.There are some great rounds offered by Remington as well.Give them a try sometime , you will like them.I have killed 2 coyotes this year over 60 yards with the Winchester B shot.

Scott

MarcusR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 17HMR but have never taken it out to hunt bobcats or yotes. I have heard that the conditions have to just about perfect cuase the bullet is so light. I shoot a .220 Swift for both yotes and bobcats. I am very impressed with it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom