Bought a standby, whole home generator today.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArmyOfJuan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lowes. Centurion. Air cooled 20kW. I only need about 13-14 to power my house, but this was a mistake order that they needed to get rid of. I got it for less than the 13kW would have been. Complete with transfer switch.

I'm out in Logan County so inspections are not required. I was thinking about pouring a pad for it and plumbing it myself. Then hire an electrician to do the electrical part.

Thoughts?

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lowes. Centurion. Air cooled 20kW. I only need about 13-14 to power my house, but this was a mistake order that they needed to get rid of. I got it for less than the 13kW would have been. Complete with transfer switch.

I'm out in Logan County so inspections are not required. I was thinking about pouring a pad for it and plumbing it myself. Then hire an electrician to do the electrical part.

Thoughts?

If you plumb it yourself make sure you get enough gas to it. That one can suck up 300K BTU if you are on NG.

Also, A lot of people dont know that they are rated if you supply them with LP. On natural Gas they are less ( in your case 18Kw). Still, A real good size for an average home.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Thoughts?

The more you do, the more you save. Any and all up to actually hooking it to the house should be doable. Leave the actual hook up to the ones who know code / safety. Most of the specs SHOULD be in the paperwork with the unit. It's in the envelope mark "INSTRUCTIONS: Destroy immediately"

smcgee10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just be sure to locate the generator at least 10 ft away from the house to minimize the risk of CO entering the house. Most manufacturers reccommend to run a tap from a high pressure line versus a low pressure line inside the house. There are two regulators. One at the meeter and there should be another at the house. The line after the meeter regulator but before the house regulator is the high side. Any competent plumber should be able to tie in to the line.

Latest posts

Top Bottom