Boundary Waters Trip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm late to the part but the Patagonia stuff is totally worth the money. By far the best underlayers I have used.

If you want a light pair of boots, Asolo makes some stuff that would fit the bill. I have their Fugitive GTX. They weight in right about the same, as the Breeze. Lightweight boots make a big difference at the end of the day.

Some people hate convertible pants, but for being outdoors I find them very versatile. The North Face Paramount Peak pants are a great choice, and are an "old school" North Face design meaning they are more about being a good piece of gear than a fashion statement. I wear them even in winters here in OK (which you know are pretty dry), with long underwear. I like being able to add/remove layers even on my bottom half, even if it requires me taking off a pair of long johns. These pants aren't water proof though. Being nylon blend, small drops and such will bead off, but they will soak in a storm or a good splash. They dry quickly though. You will need something more robust if the weather is cool enough and you are in a canoe.

For a outer shell, the Marmot Pre Cip jacket is among the best for weight and water resistance. If you want a fleece too, you can get the Cirrus component system which is the Pre Cip with a mid weight fleece that zips in. You can find these on close out (last year's model) for $140-ish if you look around.

For shirts, I like the long sleeve "Tech" tees, like Patagonia or Under Armor offer. I have found on these, the brand matters less to their functionality than other pieces of equipment. I have some old Patagonia ones I got on sale back when this stuff was less common, but I also have some inexpensive ones from Academy and JC Penney and would say they work just as well. Warning though - I have found that no-see-ums can bite you through the thin polyester. Maybe in this area a cotton tee would help, and just throw it on in the evening (unless of course, it is cool enough you are putting on a jacket).

Just my 2 cents.

HiImSeth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If by wash, you mean rinse out, then sure, but don't expect to actually take detergent and wash the stuff.
Yes, of course. That would be silly. Rinse taint sweat and stuff out and re-use. My bad on the usage of the term 'wash'.

I'm late to the part but the Patagonia stuff is totally worth the money. By far the best underlayers I have used.

If you want a light pair of boots, Asolo makes some stuff that would fit the bill. I have their Fugitive GTX. They weight in right about the same, as the Breeze. Lightweight boots make a big difference at the end of the day.

Some people hate convertible pants, but for being outdoors I find them very versatile. The North Face Paramount Peak pants are a great choice, and are an "old school" North Face design meaning they are more about being a good piece of gear than a fashion statement. I wear them even in winters here in OK (which you know are pretty dry), with long underwear. I like being able to add/remove layers even on my bottom half, even if it requires me taking off a pair of long johns. These pants aren't water proof though. Being nylon blend, small drops and such will bead off, but they will soak in a storm or a good splash. They dry quickly though. You will need something more robust if the weather is cool enough and you are in a canoe.

For a outer shell, the Marmot Pre Cip jacket is among the best for weight and water resistance. If you want a fleece too, you can get the Cirrus component system which is the Pre Cip with a mid weight fleece that zips in. You can find these on close out (last year's model) for $140-ish if you look around.

For shirts, I like the long sleeve "Tech" tees, like Patagonia or Under Armor offer. I have found on these, the brand matters less to their functionality than other pieces of equipment. I have some old Patagonia ones I got on sale back when this stuff was less common, but I also have some inexpensive ones from Academy and JC Penney and would say they work just as well. Warning though - I have found that no-see-ums can bite you through the thin polyester. Maybe in this area a cotton tee would help, and just throw it on in the evening (unless of course, it is cool enough you are putting on a jacket).

Just my 2 cents.
Great stuff. Thank you for your 2 cents. It is appreciated.

HiImSeth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
..another thing. What are some good lunch ideas for backpacking/canoeing/hiking trips? Some have suggested pb/jelly rolled up in a tortilla, summer sausage and some trail mix type stuff. Any other ideas?

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The below is borrowed from 4x4 and ExPo/ADV forums. It's a unique look at camping food. If you don't dig this flavor of cuisine, it's not for you. But it makes a lot of sense when you consider how food suits the people and regions of its origins:

In the desert, I have learned that refrigeration and keeping perishables in tact and safe to eat can be a pain in the ass. On the other hand, MRE's and "just-add-water" meals are high in unhealthy preservatives that don't keep them from tasting like **** or making my stomach queasy. Canned foods can be heavy in weight and sodium, but are rarely heavy on flavor.

I hate bland food, and I refuse to serve a bad meal. The one thing that the people I take to the desert love is my food; and I generally stick to one theme--bedouin.

These people don't own fridges, carry all their own food all the time, but still manage some tasty meals. Their food is lightweight, doesn't spoil in reasonable heat, humidity, and amount of time, and is generally easy to prepare with the use of little fuel and little precious water. Although some items are high in sodium, they are generally healthy foods. And ****in' eh, they taste good!

All these things can last for days without refrigeration if kept in the right conditions. My grocery list for a desert trip can be taken care of at any Middle Eastern Market (and with some creativity at the regular grocery store), and usually involves:

Pita Bread (or Lavash, or Na'an, or similar bread): Easy to eat, heat, wrap, good for all three meals, etc.

Feta Cheese (block w/ brine, Hungarian Style, more salty, keeps longer): should be kept out of the sun, double-baggied, leave brine in.

Olives: Can be left in baggies with very little juice.

Fresh Herbs/Veggies: like Basil, Mint, "Tareh", which is the chive of a leek, or Green Onions, clove of garlic, small cucumbers. Herbs and veggies wrapped in paper towels then put into baggies. They may wilt a bit, but will remain edible and will not rot for up to a week or more. Cucumbers will not wilt, they are very hearty. Chop up in to salad, add to leftover couscous to make tabouleh, etc.

Dried herbs (come in packets, cheap): use them to spice couscous, hummus, etc.

Dates (fresh or dried): Dates are good, keep well, and make a nice high-energy breakfast or snack with tea or coffee. They also help with constipation, a side effect of backpacking and desert camping.

Hummus: Hummus is cheap, imported, and comes in a can, or it's expensive, domestic and comes in a plastic container. Both kinds are good. Canned hummus keeps longer (obviously) and doesn't require refrigeration, but doesn't come in fancy flavors like the plastic-wrapped ones. If you want flavored hummus in a can, use your spice packet and a spoon. Easy. Eat with bread, cucumbers, etc.

Couscous: Easy to make. Add water, oil/butter, spices. Eat with cheese, veggies, stewed tomatoes, etc. or meat/fish or falafel. Very filling, very tasty.
Falafel: Easy to make, little cleanup, use baggy to make mixture. Make "hamburger" style patties, fry in oil. Can replace meat as main dish.
Can stewed tomatoes: for putting into couscous.

Cookies and assorted sweets: self-explanatory.

Tea: good after dinner, close out theme for meal, gets things...uh, moving.

"Turkish" Coffee: the reason I suggest Turkish Coffee is that it is so easily prepared. Have pot, add water, pour in coffee, heat, drink. Bring sugar.

I sometimes take meat or fish with me, but I generally stick to low-risk meats like beef and lamb, because they don't often carry trip-ruining or life-threatening diseases like chicken, wild rabbit, or pork, and can be eaten rare or if I turn my back on the BBQ, overcooked. I usually pre-cook meats before I get to camp; then I just re-heat them in a pan or over the fire briefly before serving.

These foods can be prepared in combinations to make different meals, i.e.

Breakfast: pita, heated over stove, with feta cheese, basil, chives, mint, cup of tea/coffee, dates for dessert.

Lunch: Pita w/ hummus, cucumbers. Or falafel w/ hummus, olives, feta.

Dinner: Couscous w/ tomatoes, herbs, any BBQ'd meat or leftover falafel on top. Mix leftover couscous with chopped herbs, cucumber, olives, oil and spices to make tabouleh salad for next day. Will keep up to two days in high heat.

Dessert: dates, cookies, sweets, tea/coffee.

If these recipes can help prevent even one person from eating disgusting dehydrated chemical crap from REI, I feel that my time on this Earth will not have been wasted. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

HiImSeth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The below is borrowed from 4x4 and ExPo/ADV forums. It's a unique look at camping food. If you don't dig this flavor of cuisine, it's not for you. But it makes a lot of sense when you consider how food suits the people and regions of its origins:

In the desert, I have learned that refrigeration and keeping perishables in tact and safe to eat can be a pain in the ass. On the other hand, MRE's and "just-add-water" meals are high in unhealthy preservatives that don't keep them from tasting like **** or making my stomach queasy. Canned foods can be heavy in weight and sodium, but are rarely heavy on flavor.

I hate bland food, and I refuse to serve a bad meal. The one thing that the people I take to the desert love is my food; and I generally stick to one theme--bedouin.

These people don't own fridges, carry all their own food all the time, but still manage some tasty meals. Their food is lightweight, doesn't spoil in reasonable heat, humidity, and amount of time, and is generally easy to prepare with the use of little fuel and little precious water. Although some items are high in sodium, they are generally healthy foods. And ****in' eh, they taste good!

All these things can last for days without refrigeration if kept in the right conditions. My grocery list for a desert trip can be taken care of at any Middle Eastern Market (and with some creativity at the regular grocery store), and usually involves:

Pita Bread (or Lavash, or Na'an, or similar bread): Easy to eat, heat, wrap, good for all three meals, etc.

Feta Cheese (block w/ brine, Hungarian Style, more salty, keeps longer): should be kept out of the sun, double-baggied, leave brine in.

Olives: Can be left in baggies with very little juice.

Fresh Herbs/Veggies: like Basil, Mint, "Tareh", which is the chive of a leek, or Green Onions, clove of garlic, small cucumbers. Herbs and veggies wrapped in paper towels then put into baggies. They may wilt a bit, but will remain edible and will not rot for up to a week or more. Cucumbers will not wilt, they are very hearty. Chop up in to salad, add to leftover couscous to make tabouleh, etc.

Dried herbs (come in packets, cheap): use them to spice couscous, hummus, etc.

Dates (fresh or dried): Dates are good, keep well, and make a nice high-energy breakfast or snack with tea or coffee. They also help with constipation, a side effect of backpacking and desert camping.

Hummus: Hummus is cheap, imported, and comes in a can, or it's expensive, domestic and comes in a plastic container. Both kinds are good. Canned hummus keeps longer (obviously) and doesn't require refrigeration, but doesn't come in fancy flavors like the plastic-wrapped ones. If you want flavored hummus in a can, use your spice packet and a spoon. Easy. Eat with bread, cucumbers, etc.

Couscous: Easy to make. Add water, oil/butter, spices. Eat with cheese, veggies, stewed tomatoes, etc. or meat/fish or falafel. Very filling, very tasty.
Falafel: Easy to make, little cleanup, use baggy to make mixture. Make "hamburger" style patties, fry in oil. Can replace meat as main dish.
Can stewed tomatoes: for putting into couscous.

Cookies and assorted sweets: self-explanatory.

Tea: good after dinner, close out theme for meal, gets things...uh, moving.

"Turkish" Coffee: the reason I suggest Turkish Coffee is that it is so easily prepared. Have pot, add water, pour in coffee, heat, drink. Bring sugar.

I sometimes take meat or fish with me, but I generally stick to low-risk meats like beef and lamb, because they don't often carry trip-ruining or life-threatening diseases like chicken, wild rabbit, or pork, and can be eaten rare or if I turn my back on the BBQ, overcooked. I usually pre-cook meats before I get to camp; then I just re-heat them in a pan or over the fire briefly before serving.

These foods can be prepared in combinations to make different meals, i.e.

Breakfast: pita, heated over stove, with feta cheese, basil, chives, mint, cup of tea/coffee, dates for dessert.

Lunch: Pita w/ hummus, cucumbers. Or falafel w/ hummus, olives, feta.

Dinner: Couscous w/ tomatoes, herbs, any BBQ'd meat or leftover falafel on top. Mix leftover couscous with chopped herbs, cucumber, olives, oil and spices to make tabouleh salad for next day. Will keep up to two days in high heat.

Dessert: dates, cookies, sweets, tea/coffee.

If these recipes can help prevent even one person from eating disgusting dehydrated chemical crap from REI, I feel that my time on this Earth will not have been wasted. Thanks for reading.
Great info, thanks!

I'll see if I can dig up a book that one of our guys wrote about the boundary waters, has food ideas in it IIRC.
Sweet, thanks!

Latest posts

Top Bottom