Brass worth..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is once fired brass worth much? I got around 80rnds of .270 and maybe 160rnds of .223 that I've saved from shooting in hopes that a buddy of mine would get his reloading stuff setup. Don't think its gonna happen so just wondering what its worth on the market. Thought about saving in case I ever get into reloading, or maybe trading for ammo. Just thinking out loud. Lol

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally i would just put it up and save it cause that small amount the shipping would cost more than what someone would be willing to pay for it unless you find someone locally.

glowworm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
small amounts of larger calibers or odd calibers can be worth selling. Think .338, .50 cal, .50 AE etc. For the common calibers like 9mm, .45, .223, they are usually traded in bulk quantities of 500+ and don't command much of a price. If you've got the space, hang on to them. Maybe you could use them to sweeten a trade deal sometime.

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll just hang on to it and keep adding as I go. I dont get out to shoot much so it would be a long time before I had enough worth any value it sounds like.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
you are in OKC, go in the reloading section and see if someone would teach you to reload it. I bet someone up there would measure your chamber and teach you to reload your own custom rounds. I would help you out, but I'm in Lawton and don't have any 270 dies or an OAL gauge for a 270.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is once fired brass worth much? I got around 80rnds of .270 and maybe 160rnds of .223 that I've saved from shooting in hopes that a buddy of mine would get his reloading stuff setup. Don't think its gonna happen so just wondering what its worth on the market. Thought about saving in case I ever get into reloading, or maybe trading for ammo. Just thinking out loud. Lol
Get a loading manual and one of these and load it yourself. Not fast, but it works.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
deerwhacker444 that is what i began loading with the Lee classic loader for my 30-30. It made ammo that was very accurate. better than the cheap remington and federal stuff you buy.

If you are free during the daytime on weekdays I can show you how to reload and we can fill those cases.
Or you can with my stuff.
I have 223 dies but you will need 270 ,, if that 270 shoots 1.5" groups or better then do not reload for it.

Save the money unless you plan on bench rest competition.
Now the .223 store ammo i tested sucks. handloads really shine in that one.
I just see many 270 rifles that shoot excellent with store cheaper ammo.

But then again if you shoot it a bunch then reloading will save you money once you find a load.

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I appreciate the offers, I may take you up on it someday if I decide to get into reloading. Does it save much money over store bought ammo is it done more for making custom loads? I don't get out to shoot much these days, maybe a couple times a year. And of course hunting season.

berserk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A few years ago I had a few 5 gallon buckets of once fired brass for sale on the classifieds. After a few weeks with no responses or offers I just gave it away to a friend.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
can you save money?
1 LB of powder has 7000 grains worth of weight in it.
My .223 uses 26 grains for about 269 rounds.. my 30-06 uses 53 grains for about 132 rounds

So the .223 would cost .096 cents per load and 30-06 .17 cents each round.
Then primers .03 cents each.
Then bullets .20 cents each for the .223 for the 55gr Vmax.

.32 cents each for the 155 Amax for the 30-06.. yes you can use cheaper bullets.
So .52 cents each for 30-06 or $10.40 a box of 20 rounds.
Or .326 cents each for .223 and that is $6.52 a box of 20 rounds.

Then you have the brass prep time,, or the cost of brass if you must buy it.
Now a fun thing is reloading cast bullets.

If you make your own and scrounge for lead you can make ammo really cheap.
I have a cast load for my 30-06 that is very accurate 1" at 100 yards sometimes better sometimes a little larger group.

11.5gr of powder .037 cents and the lead bullet cost me to make is .025 cents and then .03 cents for primer.

You are talking $1.84 for a box of 20.
OH wait tack on another 38 cents for 20 gas checks and you have some cheap fun rounds to shoot.

That is if you paid a buck a pound for lead.

I do it for accuracy though not money savings.
If i want to hit a tennis ball at 200- 250 yards I am hard pressed to find store ammo for my guns that will do that.

Do you need that accuracy .. probably not .. but many times during a tough hunt I have had a window through the brush to hit the animal and this window is 8" or so and the animal is 300 yards away and wind is on and off .. can you make the shot.

I would not even try if I had not shot hundreds of rounds before the season in many different conditions.
I shoot in below 20 temps to 100 degrees to see what each gun and load does.

I did not save any money vs what i did before I began reloading.. but I sure shot a lot more ammo.

Before reloading a box of 20 30-30 ammo would last me 3 years.
I would shoot 250 yards max and it better be a perfect standing still broad side shot.
Most shots were under 50 yards though.. 1 deer a year would make me happy.
Now I hunt all seasons and want to limit out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom