Broke my neck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey all, as the title says, I broke my neck Saturday evening. I was chillin in my pool (swimming and diving). I decided to do a dive off my diving board, so I got up there and jumped off. The deep end is 11ft. deep, and the shallow end is 3 and a half or so. Anyway, I jumped off, hit the water and felt this snappy high pitch sound. I opened my eyes and thought "Man I hit the water hard". What I actually hit was the incline from the deep to the shallow end. I dove out instead of up/down and hit the top of my head on the bottom of the pool.

Right after I opened my eyes, I looked around and thought "I can't move. WTH is going on?" Survival instinct kicked right in. I was able to turn my body a little bit to figure out which way was up. I blew a few small bubbles and confirmed which way to go. Then I started kicking as hard as I could, which was about as hard as a five year old. I'm still on that incline, roughly 6 feet under water. I kicked and kicked.

Finally I was able to get my mouth above the water to get air. I went back down, then back up and yelled for help while taking a breath as well. This went on for what felt like forever, but was about 30 seconds. Apparently my "yell" was more like a whisper, according to my buddy Justin. He noticed me doing this "bobbing" and knew something was wrong (I'm a fish. aka great swimmer). He ran over and pulled me to the shallow end and sat me on the steps.

At this point is when i realized I could not move my arms or legs at all! I have no idea how I was able to get above the water, other than the "super human adrenaline" kind of thing. Anyways, I couldn't move any limbs. The ambulance was called and I was taken to the hospital.

They did all the tests and what not, and it turns out I broke the C2 vertebrae (sp?). I am VERY fortunate because where I broke it, there are two arteries, one on each side. Arteries didn't get touched, ligaments are good, and as you can tell, I have complete mobility back.

Now I have to wear this neck brace/collar for 8 weeks. I am very lucky and feel very blessed! Thought I would share this with ya'll and tell everyone, be careful when diving. Make sure you stay in the deep end!!! lol

Disclaimer: If it sounds weird or my typing is bad, it's because I'm all drugged up. ;)

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
W

T

F

WOW, dude.... I mean seriously, WOW. You are one lucky sonofa... I am so glad to hear you're ok.

Guys, for those who don't know, this injury is immediately fatal in the vast majority of people who suffer it. This isn't even a quad-type injury where you end up in a wheelchair for the rest of your life. In this kind of situation, you either end up with a (semi)stable fracture like griz has, or you die at the scene because the spinal cord injury is so high it paralyzes your diaphragm or severs your vertebral artery. Think Christopher Reeve, here, folks. I can't tell you how glad I am you're doing well. And that you had friends with you at the time. Jeez.... good luck, and let us know if we can do anything to help you out, man.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am glad that things are working out. Neck injuries can be very bad as you unfortunately found out. Take care of yourself and let everything heal up properly. Don't get in too much of a hurry.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad you are ok. I went through that "why can't I move" feeling when I broke my back. It is very scary. I hope everything heals great.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom