"Building" an AR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I think I found some of the issues with the buffer tube (if I am using the same one you are).

Some of the edges are doing wierd things when I pull them into gCAD.

Yeah, the adjuster holes on the one I used are doing something funny. I'm about 75% done on a new buffer tube, just haven't done the contouring on the front of the adjustment section.

Also, the A3 upper from cnc has some issues. Maybe not in solidworks, but when you view the wireframe, you can see triangles (mainly in the FA housing). Rendering engines dont deal with triangles very well.

Didn't notice that. I'll look into it. I really hate dealing with imported solid bodies, so I'll probably end up completely redrawing it if I can't find a true SolidWorks part.

Thanks for the info NikatKimber. Will check it out. I took some ProE in college. SolidWorks is my preference....

I much prefer SolidWorks over ProE too.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I know that to many this may not be conciderd building and AR, but this one is a smith upper, stag lower, magpul grip and fore end, leupold MK4 CQT, love that optic, TLR-1 light, Vltor muzzle break. I like him anyway.

ai1037.photobucket.com_albums_a456_celer_silens_mortalis_MY_20BABIES_CHUCKSWSTAGAR3.jpg

You might post this in the "see all the AR's" thread here:

http://okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22498&page=135

Jschatz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He's lying, he didnt teach himself--I taught him:haay::musketeers:. I am still toying with the idea of using mostly empty cartridges for our prototyper to make a plastic Upper and Lower just for fun. Brent have you tried using Feature Works to recognize the geometry back into features.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Jschatz is right, he taught me a lot.

I tried using FW, but for some of the more complex parts it didn't do so well. I may try playing with it manually to see if I can get better results.

Jschatz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I only laid the foundation and gave hits and pointers along the way from what I learned in my own self taught journey. I figured that was the case with feature recognize. Never seems to be able to get everything correct. Unless it is really simple.

Latest posts

Top Bottom