Buying used vehicle cash out of state questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So here's the deal. I find vehicle I want out of state. Dude is a mom and pop dealer (literally a guy and his wife), specifically selling used low mile 4x4s of a certain make. He's got a good rep and has been there 19 years. I have a plane ticket there Saturday morning.

Now, he says if I give him a personal check or a cashiers check, he lets me take the truck but holds the title for 3 freaking weeks to make sure the check was not fraudulent. I get that. But 3 weeks? The damn check should clear by Monday.

What can I do to calm this old man down on this? My banker is calling him tomorrow to verify funds and butter him up. He will give me the title the same day if I pay literal cash, but I ain't down to tote $18K in paper around a strange city on a Saturday. Wire transfer is out because it's a Saturday.

This is a problem for me because a.) I have the money to buy the car outright, but I will be getting a loan (for like 40% value) on it for several reasons. So my bank needs the title to put a lien on it and give me my money and b.) don't you only have 30 days to register a vehicle in OK before being penalized? 3 weeks puts us at Christmas and New Years. What a mess.

Me and my banker think a a title hold of a week should be more than sufficient to assure him he's not been defrauded. Bankers: any reason on earth this cat needs 3 weeks to rest easy that a cashiers check was legit? Got damn.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Plus we have a road trip planned for Christmas week and lord knows po-leece love an out-of-date, out-of-state paper tag. Really not wanting my dog shot and my cavities searched because I have the Lowlife Paper Banner™ flapping 'round on the back of my rig, ya feel me? I want my real tag and pronto.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Done this 3 times with individuals. We went to their bank to make transaction whether by cash or cashier check. Either way, they confirmed cash or check, they handed me the title and I drove off. I've done this 2 times with cashier check, his bank called my bank to confirm. 3 weeks is crazy, it takes 10 minutes

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You see why we young guys get mad at old men sometimes? Dude acts like this is being done by horse & buggy. Everything is instant now, grandpa.

Hopefully my banker puts some sweet talk to him.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You see why we young guys get mad at old men sometimes? Dude acts like this is being done by horse & buggy. Everything is instant now, grandpa.

Hopefully my banker puts some sweet talk to him.

pfft....you ain't seen nuffin until you've dealt with a basement dwelling dealer thats held an FFL since they came about. They have more regs than the BATFE.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you withholding payment until you check out the rig? You could prepay with a wire transfer with a contingent of clean inspection by you. Or you can give him a check and do a wire transfer on Monday and have him destroy the check.

Whatever you do, be sure to have the agreement in writing that is signed by the seller.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
pfft....you ain't seen nuffin until you've dealt with a basement dwelling dealer thats held an FFL since they came about. They have more regs than the BATFE.

Man I can't even imagine.

Are you withholding payment until you check out the rig? You could prepay with a wire transfer with a contingent of clean inspection by you. Or you can give him a check and do a wire transfer on Monday and have him destroy the check.

Whatever you do, be sure to have the agreement in writing that is signed by the seller.

Yeah, I want eyes and hands on it before I pay.

That's a good idea re: the wire transfer and have him destroy the check. Maybe he'll go for that. If he mailed the title next week, that's fine. But 3 weeks? C'mon.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man I can't even imagine.

Yeah, I want eyes and hands on it before I pay.

That's a good idea re: the wire transfer and have him destroy the check. Maybe he'll go for that. If he mailed the title next week, that's fine. But 3 weeks? C'mon.
I paid cash for a vehicle at Lexus of Tulsa for my daughter. It took almost a month to get the title. I started getting nervous on day 25 since they told me it would take 3 weeks. Be sure to get a bill of sale showing the full payment. The timing issue may be the dealer not holding the title in their name.

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Varies from state to state but some require the dealer to release the title by a certain date. Usually within 30 days, I believe, but could be wrong. When I worked at a dealership we'd turn around in a week to 10 days usually. However we would not even touch the title until the account was funded. At that point it would go to the controller to transfer ownership and the secretary to noterize it. At which point we send into the state and they would mail us the new title. I'd say there is a chance he has been burned in the past or doesn't make a promis that he can't keep. Not sure if they do it in Oklahoma but some will not charge you late fees if you show proof of late title, postage stamp, delivery signature. There were several times when we didn't get the title out for 45 days because of inaccuracies or being held up by the state.

Latest posts

Top Bottom