Buying used vehicle cash out of state questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm on a paper tag that expires on the 4th and there ain't crap I can do about it till the dealer gets me the title. Any extra fees I'm sure I can get them to take care of but still makes me feel like another bum with an out of date tag.

Just a thought

Maybe you can see if the guy will mail the title to the bank sooner?

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Find out if there is a local branch of the bank you deal with in or near where you are picking up the vehicle. If there is then it's as simple as going there and withdrawing the funds and then handing it over or have the check drafted right in front of him he can hand you the title in the bank as you give him the check. If the check is made right in front of him it's pretty hard to say it's no good or you can give him the cash and let HIM deal with the cops if you get pulled over and have that much cash on the way back to the vehicle.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Make sure he shows you the title and verify the VIN before paying.
May be trying to title 42 a no title vehicle and sell it before he has title.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good advice above. Take cash and pay him. It's not that big of a deal to carry that much cash with you. Then finance it back through your bank once you have it and deposit the money back into your account.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For some reason I have a mental block when it comes to toting around cash that starts at $10k.

Plus I have no branch in that city. If I had a branch there, I'd just go withdraw it. One way ticket to a city with legal pot sales and almost twenty thousand bucks in cash on me in the TSA line? Lawl. Doesn't sound like a good day.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
For some reason I have a mental block when it comes to toting around cash that starts at $10k.

Plus I have no branch in that city. If I had a branch there, I'd just go withdraw it. One way ticket to a city with legal pot sales and almost twenty thousand bucks in cash on me in the TSA line? Lawl. Doesn't sound like a good day.

Drove to Aspen once to pick up a bronco with fat envelope full of cash..............felt like Harry and Lloyd the whole time and was ready to hand it over to someone else so I could relax lol.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I pat my wallet enough as it is.

My dad used to work with a guy who lost a good bit of cash to the state of Kansas back in the 90s in a traffic stop. It was legitimate money - not from/for anything illegal. He got it back but it was quite the fight for him to do so and it took a long time.

Cash ain't really 'legal' tender I suppose.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I toted a check over $10 K to a contractor today at our range. Its not a comfortable feeling knowing how loose the confiscation laws are in Ok.
I kept strict speed discipline on the way. I'm a chronic speeder so that was a tough trip.

Latest posts

Top Bottom