Buying used vehicle cash out of state questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are the spring shops in town not capable of building or rebuilding your rear spring pack to your specifications?

Tulsa Auto Spring is. Never used them for anything but parts, but I got a quote from them for a simple job that was way high once. I think the guy might have misunderstood what I was asking him to do because he shot back "$600-700" for a job that other shops wanted like $150 for. If he didn't misunderstand the, whoa. Kinda soured me on them but I may try them again.

Got a quote from Alcan that's not too bad. May get a quote from Tulsa Auto Spring as well.

In the meantime I'm just sticking an add-a-leaf on. I want to get up and running with my new tires. The add-a-leaf should give me time to get a custom spring pack built and some bumpstops figured out.

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are a lot of new ways to rip people off nowadays. Fake cashiers checks written on other people's accounts and fake US postal money orders. Go-phone telephone numbers on checks that verify funds then the phone is disconnected. I used to think cashiers checks were safe but I just received a cashiers check from a guy buying a gun and I asked my bank if the check was good and they said "yes" and I said can you make double sure because I have a weird feeling about this. They made some more calls and sure enough, it was fake.

FredNOk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i had a situation once with a vehicle purchased from a small time used lot. i was getting grief from the guy at the lot somewhat similar to the OP's situation, so i got with a reputable dealer who I paid 100 bucks to take care of the purchase and cross the t's and dot the i's for me. it was a 6 grand purchase back in 2005. i made my personal check out to that dealer, who then paid the small time guy and they took possession of the car. It cost me 6420.oo bucks for all of the legal and the transactions, but I had my car in 3 days all tagged, tax paid and title filed with the state. The extra expense of 100 bucks was well worth avoiding the headache I'd have had to deal with by going through the waiting process with the small time guy.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
RH.... did you get your truck? Post some pics, keep us updated, man!

Just got back from Denver! First impressions: comfy, smooth, much higher build quality than newer Toyotas. Real solid, not a single rattle. 16.5mpg at 75mph. Same as my Tacoma got loaded with gear on 33s.

I think it'll work out good. Turning radius is god awful tho. I tried to make a u turn in 3 lanes...didn't happen. LOL.

i-STqMCnQ-L.jpg

Parts start rolling in this Tuesday! Will be securing it well until I make it to the alarm guy...

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Parts start rolling in this Tuesday! Will be securing it well until I make it to the alarm guy...

good looking truck! Consider getting a smartstart with GSM installed. You'll be able to lock and start the truck from anywhere and if the truck disappears you'll know exactly where to go get it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great looking ride! Agree the turning radius is horrible compared to a Taco.
Do you notice you have to stop sooner? The Taco was so light I could come to an intersections and brake right at the last minute with no problem. The extra weight of the Tundra requires a lot more stopping time especially on dirt or sand intersections.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
good looking truck! Consider getting a smartstart with GSM installed. You'll be able to lock and start the truck from anywhere and if the truck disappears you'll know exactly where to go get it.

Directed SmartStart now is moving to all Verizon networks. Same features though... they've been emailing me "special once-only pricing!" for a month now trying to get me to buy a new module for Verizon network. lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom