Cabelas/Bass Pro Merger

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShaunyP26

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FYI not sure if this goes here, but came across this the other day and thought it was interesting and has some implications for our wallets.

The Cabelas/Bass Pro Merger apparently seems to be falling apart. This article points out how Gander may be on the verge of bankruptcy, which could then trigger an anti-trust review by Commerce department. (A Trump friendly regulatory department could override it, of course, but who knows.)

https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/02/23/competitors-bankruptcy-could-derail-cabelas-merger.aspx

Cabelas stock price is now trading at around $47 a share. The agreed offer was for Bass Pro to pay all cash at a price of $65.50 per share in October. It has declined 30% since the merger was announced, while Consumer Discretionary stocks overall have gone up more than 5% over the same period. Cabelas has also had ongoing issues with it's credit card deal with Capital One that is also complicating things even further.

With sales declining consistently across much of the industry the deal doesn't make as much sense and I would bet it doesn't go through, or if it does at a much lower bid by Bass Pro. (Right now Bass Pro looks like a bunch of suckers.)

I bet much lower prices across the board for hunting and shooting related products, as well as sporting goods in general, are here to stay for quite awhile if this thing falls apart.

Stay tuned.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know how, but I don't think Bass Pro has competed in a long time. I can't afford to shop at Bass Pro and the BP branded stuff I've purchased has been mostly crap.

ShaunyP26

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know how, but I don't think Bass Pro has competed in a long time. I can't afford to shop at Bass Pro and the BP branded stuff I've purchased has been mostly crap.

I agree. I prefer Cabelas hands down and their branded stuff is much better. Maybe that's where the value was for Bass Pro? Cabelas is also just a more pleasant and clean shopping experience, in my opinion. Though I mostly just buy online, or local, family owned places for anything other than ammo when it's shooting related. I try as hard as I can to make my dollar go further in the local economy. Sometimes it doesn't work that way, but it is a factor for me usually.

Latest posts

Top Bottom