CAIR Suing Oklahoma Over Sharia Law Ban

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its not really. The ideology is pretty much the same. Its just that there are alot more of the Muslim extremist groups that are actively working towards that goal than most other religions. And they tend to be oraganized and able enough to carry out larger scale violence and political missions.

The religion is the same, just more people who are more dedicated.

The extremists would probably further their beliefs more with Feed the Children type programs instead of the "cut off their hands so they can't vote" type programs.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Roper v. Simmons, 543 U.S. 5500, cited international law in holding capital punishment applied to minors unconstitutional; Graham v. Florida, 560 U. S. ____, did the same, saying:

Now, clearly 755 was meant to be slap in the face to Islam, and it may well get struck down because of the language concerning Sharia law. Had the authors stuck with the first half, though, they would have been addressing something that does happen, however infrequently.

'Course, the entire American legal system* is based on English law, so if we can't look outside our borders, things get interesting.

* Louisiana has a healthy dose of French legal theory, being, as it was, a French colony.

I've read the stuff behind Roper vs. Simmons, but hadn't seen Graham vs. Florida - clearly though, in both cases, nothing from Intrenational law trumped what was already established in current US law (even if just by precedence - or lack there of) and in neither case were religious-laws used (mostly it was just "we're in new territory here even for the US - what is everyone else doing when it comes to deciding how young to punish kids because they're pretty !@#$ed up everywhere in the world").

I see the concern and it honestly does make me a little uncomfortable that a large portion of the population seems to be pushing a pro-Muslim agenda (I'm not against religious freedom, but I don't want it in my face or pushed over other religions), so I see where some of the concern is, but its not as bad as most folks make it out to be.

I'm not going to lie, I voted for 755 - even if for no other reason but to combat the citing of EU/UN stuff in the State.

Fact is, we aren't that old of a country (like you said), so a lot of our laws are based on foreign concepts/laws/precedence.

I just think the fear-mongering around Sharia law is a little dumb - I hear a lot of silly things said by folks I know about "we're voting against Sharia law because they let you beat your wife" and nonsense like that - I wish people were more informed on why they were voting, but that requires them to think for themselves.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its not really. The ideology is pretty much the same. Its just that there are alot more of the Muslim extremist groups that are actively working towards that goal than most other religions. And they tend to be oraganized and able enough to carry out larger scale violence and political missions.

The religion is the same, just more people who are more dedicated.

I would venture a guess that the Muslim extremist groups are much more publicized in the U.S. than the Christian extremist groups because Christianity has a much stronger foothold in America.

Part of modern journalism and politics is offending the right people in the right way.

LtCCMPUnit42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've read the stuff behind Roper vs. Simmons, but hadn't seen Graham vs. Florida - clearly though, in both cases, nothing from Intrenational law trumped what was already established in current US law (even if just by precedence - or lack there of) and in neither case were religious-laws used (mostly it was just "we're in new territory here even for the US - what is everyone else doing when it comes to deciding how young to punish kids because they're pretty !@#$ed up everywhere in the world").

I see the concern and it honestly does make me a little uncomfortable that a large portion of the population seems to be pushing a pro-Muslim agenda (I'm not against religious freedom, but I don't want it in my face or pushed over other religions), so I see where some of the concern is, but its not as bad as most folks make it out to be.

I'm not going to lie, I voted for 755 - even if for no other reason but to combat the citing of EU/UN stuff in the State.

Fact is, we aren't that old of a country (like you said), so a lot of our laws are based on foreign concepts/laws/precedence.

I just think the fear-mongering around Sharia law is a little dumb - I hear a lot of silly things said by folks I know about "we're voting against Sharia law because they let you beat your wife" and nonsense like that - I wish people were more informed on why they were voting, but that requires them to think for themselves.

I am very afraid that there are many, many people that are too lazy to think for themselves. they would rather let someone else take responsibility, and then cry about how thier rights have been taken.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just remember as you are making these racist and islamaphobic posts that DennisHoddy is the 12th Imam and he is making his list and checking it twice...if you anger him you may find a Mohammedan stocking stuffer.

I'm sure the new Oklahoma Edition HP printers are being readied for shipping as we speak. :wink2:

Come on, do you really believe that? An Islamic stronghold in Oklahoma? With or without 755, that ain't ever, ever, ever gonna happen.

BTW, did you all know Oklahoma has a huge Christian Lebanese population that has been here before statehood?

Actually, there's a significant Muslim population in the Tulsa area. This bill was probably pretty offensive to them and I'm sure they were on the phone to CAIR on Wednesday.

Spoken like someone who has no idea what the Old Testament or the Quraan says (I'm an old-school Lutheran and I've got two copies of the Quraan here - I debate religion with folks of all beliefs on a regular basis and it honestly surprises me the rubbish that people spew about other religions that is completely not true - as well as most Christians' absolute lack of knowledge in what our own Bible says).

Several things can be taken out of context - if the radical Muslims are taking things out of context, it makes them no more "mainstream Muslims" than it makes idiots in the Westboro Baptist Church "mainstream Christians".

So essentially you're stating that the bastardazation of religion is inevitable and occurs in most all religions. Seems to me the discussion should now turn from that inevitability, to the matter of scope. Hmm, how many WBC members are there, and how far do they go in spreading their message of hate??? :wink2:

The extremists would probably further their beliefs more with Feed the Children type programs instead of the "cut off their hands so they can't vote" type programs.

So you're saying they learned their craft from the U.S. handbook of foreign policy?

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So essentially you're stating that the bastardazation of religion is inevitable and occurs in most all religions. Seems to me the discussion should now turn from that inevitability, to the matter of scope. Hmm, how many WBC members are there, and how far do they go in spreading their message of hate??? :wink2:

WBC is only one of the many basterdizations of Christianity - most appear on TV and make idiotic statements about the Christianity and/or politics / religion in general :D

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

So you're saying they learned their craft from the U.S. handbook of foreign policy?

Who? The muslim extremists? No, I'm thinking they should try a little old school feed the village, dig a well, build a school method, and oh! By the way, here's a copy of the Koran and a pamphlet on how God loves you and blah, blah, blah rather than "Hold out your hands, infidel, so we can cut them off with machetes." I think the former method would endear them more to others and they would get more converts instead of a body count.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Who? The muslim extremists? No, I'm thinking they should try a little old school feed the village, dig a well, build a school method, and oh! By the way, here's a copy of the Koran and a pamphlet on how God loves you and blah, blah, blah rather than "Hold out your hands, infidel, so we can cut them off with machetes." I think the former method would endear them more to others and they would get more converts instead of a body count.

You must have them mistaken for normal, peace loving religious prostletyzers. The one's you're talking about benefit from creating havoc. They're not converting people to insanity, they're institutionalizing them to it. If all you know is killing and bombs and dismemberment, it makes it a lot easier for you to do it to others.

Latest posts

Top Bottom