Can I be an Oklahoma resident but have a non resident Virginia license and be legal.?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rains

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
First I want to apologize if this has been asked a billion times before. I searched and couldn't find anything.

Okay I live in Oklahoma but was told that I could speed up the entire process of getting my CCl if I was just to take the Virginia online course and get a Virginia non resident permit instead...??

Is this true..?? OK will apparently recognize under their reciprocity agreement with VA, even for a OK resident from what I've found. I'm gonna call OSBI tomorrow to be for sure though.

Rains

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
wow....I never knew this.

Is this a common thing for Ok residents to do to bypass the classroom times and significantly longer wait times for OK approval..??

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahoma recognizes all valid CCW's from any state, per Oklahoma statutes. The recognition of CCW's when on SOME states turf requires that the individual also be a resident of the state of the license.

Do some research yourself, considering what states you plan to visit or travel through. It may help you in your decision of which way to go, as far as a CCW permit.

whiskeysnoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not going to comment on the legality of this because I don't know. But I will say that I would encourage you to get your OK CCW. If you want it expedited from VA, fine. But go ahead and get your OK also. In my opinion, if something went south or even producing it at a traffic stop, I think you would face less scrutiny with an OK license than a VA.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
wow....I never knew this.

Is this a common thing for Ok residents to do to bypass the classroom times and significantly longer wait times for OK approval..??

I carry with a non resident Arizona license, for the pure fact that it was much quicker, 3 hour class vs 8 hr class, and cheaper in the long run. At the time I was making plans on moving out of state with-in the next 5 years as well, so it would have served dual purpose for me, and a resident Oklahoma license would be void the moment I was no longer a resident of Oklahoma.

One of these days I'll break down and get my OK license too, as it looks like I'm staying in Oklahoma for a while. Wait times are down now though compared to when I got mine.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with some of the other posts, getting the Arizona one is faster and cheaper but there are less states that will recognize it as it is a non-resident license. This is not limited to but includes Colorado, Florida, South Carolina and Michigan so if you travel you have to be even more vigilant about which state accepts your license if it is a non resident version. The Virginia one is pretty much the same except Colorado does not recognize either the resident or non-resident license and oddly Wisconsin only recognizes the non resident version. There are a couple more states in the NE that only recognize resident ones but that is such a jumble of no carry states they are surrounded by anyway I doubt it matters much.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/arizona.pdf
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/virginia.pdf
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/oklahoma.pdf

It's a little longer class time but even with the hoops and such from what I can tell the OK license is one of the more widely accepted ones currently available at 36 states recognizing the right to carry with it.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always recommend home state plus one that remains valid when you move.
Having gotten Oklahoma when only 4 states recognized us, I have 4 licenses for historical reasons, but could get by with 2, where I travel. I keep Utah because it is so cheap and they are so fast on renewals.

After getting full reciprocity with 2 or 3, you have to go state-by-state for the rest, and some will not issue to you.

Unlike driver's licenses, you can have as many carry licenses as you need/want, if they will issue to you.

Oklahoma recognizes ALL state-issued carry licenses, PERIOD.

Latest posts

Top Bottom