Carnivore Diet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do any of you dieters get really (I mean REALLY) cranky and bad mood'd while on low carb? I'm going on 1 month of mixed fasting + low carb and I could literally tell that as each week passed by, I got crankier. Almost lost it at work today over something that I would normally brush off.

Managed to drop around 5lb so still got some benefit, but I think it's time for me to go back to a normal diet so I don't lose my job.

I haven't. In fact, it's the exact opposite for me. I've been "lax" in my dietary choices the last 3 or 4 days and I feel miserable. Told Grumpy tonight I'm gonna go back to eating carnivore in the morning. My stomach feels like it's full of battery acid.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't. In fact, it's the exact opposite for me. I've been "lax" in my dietary choices the last 3 or 4 days and I feel miserable. Told Grumpy tonight I'm gonna go back to eating carnivore in the morning. My stomach feels like it's full of battery acid.
You sound like most people who can reap the benefits of low carb then.. seems a lot of people get a much calmer and stable mood and can think more clearly.

I get a smidge of that the first week I go on low carb but it doesn't last long. I think my brain just needs sugar to function normally.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You sound like most people who can reap the benefits of low carb then.. seems a lot of people get a much calmer and stable mood and can think more clearly.

I get a smidge of that the first week I go on low carb but it doesn't last long. I think my brain just needs sugar to function normally.

Could be. I'm pretty sure, given man's genetic diversity, that no one thing works for everybody.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do any of you dieters get really (I mean REALLY) cranky and bad mood'd while on low carb? I'm going on 1 month of mixed fasting + low carb and I could literally tell that as each week passed by, I got crankier. Almost lost it at work today over something that I would normally brush off.

Managed to drop around 5lb so still got some benefit, but I think it's time for me to go back to a normal diet so I don't lose my job.

I don't know your particular situation, but some folks just cannot jump into low carb/keto/ketovore without easing into it. Especially with fasting, 16/8 at most at first and not every day fasting. Poor mood, etc. can also be attributed to not eating ENOUGH and lacking daily minerals and electrolytes. When fasting, make sure to get those minerals and electrolytes daily (read supplements).

IANAD so this is not medical advice. There is nothing that your body MUST have from carbs. It has been shown that your heart and brain run better on ketones than glucose. All of this has been proven with research,

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know your particular situation, but some folks just cannot jump into low carb/keto/ketovore without easing into it. Especially with fasting, 16/8 at most at first and not every day fasting. Poor mood, etc. can also be attributed to not eating ENOUGH and lacking daily minerals and electrolytes. When fasting, make sure to get those minerals and electrolytes daily (read supplements).

IANAD so this is not medical advice. There is nothing that your body MUST have from carbs. It has been shown that your heart and brain run better on ketones than glucose. All of this has been proven with research,
I've been doing low carb/keto/fasting in various combos for a few years now so definitely not new to it. I probably went a bit hard this time and gave myself a really low daily carb allotment (20-30g net) so that could be the issue.

I think my brain just likes running on glucose over ketones though.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some people are somewhat addicted to glucose, and until they are fat adapted (using fat/ketones for fuel, e.g. in nutritional ketosis) they will lack energy, have poor motivation, and even crave carbs.
I've seen this line repeatedly in the keto communities and I'm sure scientifically it is true, but practically I think it's ********.

Latest posts

Top Bottom