Cleaning Marlin 60 is kind of a pain

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up an old Glenfield 60 about a year ago and decided to break it down and clean it a couple months back. It was by far the dirtiest gun I have ever seen. I don't know if it would have even fired a round, it was so bad. Cleaned it up, put it back together, and it ran the crappiest bulk ammo I had just fine. [emoji41]
I have a Glenfield 60 carbine. Bought new at close out when Gibsons went out of business.
Fired a lot of rounds through that rifle without a hiccup. Bought several .22rifles since then, so the 60 hangs by a nail in the shop building to perforate burn barrels and the occasional varmint.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like most everything else there are several videos that show the ins and outs of the Marlin/Glenfield 60s.

I actually had a YouTube video on disassembly open before me when I tried it. I watched the dude in the video compress the spring up in there without mishap. I just failed when I attempted it myself!

jbrentd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Based on experiences like yours that I read about on the web, I bought two recoil springs before I even tried to break it down to replace the cracked buffer. Luckily, I now have a spare.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I actually do own a Model 60 and 2 Glenfield 75s. While I'm not thrilled about breaking them down, I have done so many times with no issues. Just be careful with the spring and you'll be OK. The Mossberg 702 I own is also very similar.

Latest posts

Top Bottom