Cleaning Marlin 60 is kind of a pain

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just to be contrarian I decided to actually takedown and clean the action on my Marlin 60, since I've been occasionally shooting it lately.

There are a fair number of steps, it's straightforward enough ... until it comes time to replace that darn recoil spring! I put a bad kink in the spring and now I've gotta get a replacement.

Sure is an accurate little rifle though.

BTW I was glad to see this old thread showing someone else had the same issue with their Marlin semi-auto .22's recoil spring. Careful cleaning marlin 795 Shows that just because no one posts on your thread here doesn't mean it lacks value!

RugerSooner

Speedy Gonzalez
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Little advice. Really watch those side plates around the action group. Was putting the action back and the slide plate came unattached from its pins. Next thing I know I'm searching for a hammer strut bridge. Not the most user friendly rifles but I'm always up for a challenge!

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Punch the barrel out. Squirt some Non-Chlorinated brake cleaner up in the action, blow it out, put a few drops of some kind of oil in it and keep shooting. Or, be very, very careful with that little spring!

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is one of the main reasons I like my old Savage 6s over the Marlin 60s I have both, and the Savages so much easier to take apart and reassemble. No tools needed and no worry about losing or kinking the springs.

Savage takes about 50 seconds to break down and reassemble.
Marlin takes me about 5 minutes.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was eyeing a Marlin 795, the detachable mag version of the 60, because I do like how my 60 shoots.

Now that I've seen what the disassembly/reassembly is like (both Marlins share the same bolt/spring mechanism), I am thinking Ruger 10/22 Takedown.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
The Marlins aren't really that bad. I have three and it's no big deal to break them down for cleaning.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I know there are. I bought it off a buddies grandpa and I haven't cleaned it and I don't know when he had cleaned it last. I shot it a couple times and got a 10/22 so sits in the safe.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah I know there are. I bought it off a buddies grandpa and I haven't cleaned it and I don't know when he had cleaned it last. I shot it a couple times and got a 10/22 so sits in the safe.
I picked up an old Glenfield 60 about a year ago and decided to break it down and clean it a couple months back. It was by far the dirtiest gun I have ever seen. I don't know if it would have even fired a round, it was so bad. Cleaned it up, put it back together, and it ran the crappiest bulk ammo I had just fine. [emoji41]

Latest posts

Top Bottom